Traffic being held up by buses on Trinity Street while waiting to access parking area

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Traffic being held up by buses on Trinity Street while waiting to access parking area

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

@jok 13075 wrote:

Alun, Like you I have been around the King Street area for a very long time and it doesn’t take me to tell you that the Bus Station, in it’s current form, was a disaster from day one. I believe it was instrumental in destroying your business along with the Hairdressers in Elwy House and later the Tattoo Shop that replaced it. Add to that Motormania, Key Travel, Krazy about Pizza, Krazy Kuts, (Hairdressers) (formally Ecclestons), Jones The Computer, Bet Fred Bookmakers(formally The Tote), T.E. Roberts, Merit Travel, The Professionals Dry Cleaners and even the Wrexham Leader, and most of these premises are still unoccupied. Add to that all the unoccupied offices in the Centenary Buildings upper floors and it paints a sorry picture. And now the inconsiderate bus drivers are slowly putting a noose around my neck by their actions.

Absolutely correct. You will remember the trumpeting of this development and the spin given to the local businesses. I wrote to Ian Lucas, Rhoddri Morgan and Wrexham Council about what I saw unfolding before my eyes. In fairness to Ian Lucas, he came out to visit the mess that was unravelling and I think he was fairly amazed at the dangers of crossing from the Bus Station to Lord Street. The town centre manager also came out and actually confirmed to me (in the earshot of the Manager of Motormania) that she (and I presume the Council) no longer considered King Street a retail area.

A simple rerouting of buses up Trinity Street (from the Yale College end), an exit from the King Street side and a park up on a covered island would have been a much more logical model. This would have allowed the upper end of Trinity Street to have been pedestrianized and pedestrian flow safe and secure.

We now live with the consequences of poor planning decisions and the idea that bus drivers, taxi drivers or motorists are the prime culprits in the King Street farce is rather myopic

99DylanJones
    Participant

The problem is now likely to b reduced as the new Bus time tables come into force with reduced services.
    Interesting that you cant get any information at the bus station as the info point is now closed. Go to the Council Contact Centre round the corner and they don’t have info either.
    The real danger is that there will be an increase in people hanging around the bus station waiting for a bus that has been cancelled.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Sorry that you are viewing this through rose tinted glasses Jok, but the fact of the matter is that Private Hire vehicle drivers rarely, if ever, alight from their vehicle when collecting a client. It has not been suggested that their customers ‘stand in the middle of the road’ but rather that the drivers stop in the middle of the road and sound their horn repeatedly until their fare comes out to join them. This can be witnessed any time of any day with frequent regularity.
    Nowhere have I said that you are personally guilty of creating a noise nuisance or blocking the highway, but what I am saying is that it is a generic observation that holds true for the vast majority of occasions.
    There is of course an easy way around the problem, use Duke St. to egress King St., because as you have reminded me in the past, it is available for use at all times to persons of your calling.

BenjaminM
    Participant

An interesting proposal Alun, but frankly, unworkable unless several other factors were brought into play.
    Firstly, it would necessitate King St becoming a two-way street to take into account buses entering from the museum end of King St which at present access Trinity St from the Co-op end. This would further isolate the shops on King St, (a situation that you take great pains to defend) and undoubtedly increase congestion at the Rhosddu end with buses and private vehicles having to jockey for position.
    OR
    Instead of the above, divert those buses down Grosvenor Rd (a main arterial route) to the roundabout giving access to Rhosddu Rd and then onto Trinity St in line with your proposal.
    Earlier on in this thread we have read of the perceived problems already apparent at that roundabout, adopting this, would increase the problem exponentially.
    Sorry jok, but it looks like you will have to grin and bear it for the time being or at least until a practical and workable solution is forthcoming.

Alunh
    Participant

I suspect that you are right as things stand now Benjamin. When the development was undertaken there was more of a blank canvas

Alunh
    Participant

Re-reading your post Benjamin…….I see what you mean…..but personally I wouldn’t have had a two way flow in any part of this area. Most towns seem to have one way traffic systems close to the town (like say Shrewsbury).

MP1953
    Participant

I think that the bottom line of this debate as others on this forum is that Wrexham nearly always gets it wrong, change is supposed to be for the better, the opposite seems to apply to anything that is done in Wrexham..:confused::confused:

jok
    Participant

@BenjaminM 13083 wrote:

Sorry that you are viewing this through rose tinted glasses Jok, but the fact of the matter is that Private Hire vehicle drivers rarely, if ever, alight from their vehicle when collecting a client. It has not been suggested that their customers ‘stand in the middle of the road’ but rather that the drivers stop in the middle of the road and sound their horn repeatedly until their fare comes out to join them. This can be witnessed any time of any day with frequent regularity.
    Nowhere have I said that you are personally guilty of creating a noise nuisance or blocking the highway, but what I am saying is that it is a generic observation that holds true for the vast majority of occasions.
    There is of course an easy way around the problem, use Duke St. to egress King St., because as you have reminded me in the past, it is available for use at all times to persons of your calling.[/QU

Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, Chapter 57, Part 2, Section 69, (1) States: No person being the driver of a hackney carriage or of a private hire vehicle licensed by a district council shall without reasonable cause unnecessarily prolong, in distance or in time, the journey for which the hackney carriage or private hire vehicle has been hired.

(2) If any person contravenes the provisions of this section, he shall be GUILTY of an offence.

What this means is that a hackney carriage cannot use Duke Street to convey a customer say to Tesco as it is not the shortest route, which of course is via Trinity Street, so I hope you understand the problem. Private Hire Vehicles cannot legally use Duke Street, so Town Cars Private Hire of King Street are also obliged to use Trinity Street for every hiring.

Unless you are connected with the Taxi/Hire trade you are not in a position to understand the conditions and limitations imposed on the trade and the action of bus drivers in relation to Trinity Street add to our frustration.

PS: I have used capitals for “guilty” to emphasise the fact that if I used Duke Street unnecessarily I am committing an offence, I hope this helps you to understand the magnitude of the problem.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham man sentenced to 10 years for sexual abuse of child

News

Fleur Robinson to leave role as Wrexham AFC Chief Executive

News

Property Valuation 101: What Every Homeowner Should Know

News

LIVE VIDEO: Andy Dunbobbin WINS Police and Crime Commissioner election

News

Wrexham AFC release retained and released player list

News

Welsh Ambulance Service urges public to protect resources over Bank Holiday