So when are the 10 ex Labour councillors going to tell us why they left???

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum So when are the 10 ex Labour councillors going to tell us why they left???

• Author

gertie
    Participant

It seems things have calmed down on Wrexham Council and normal service has been resumed!?!?!? However the question still remains. Why did the 10 Labour Councillors either rat on or do the decent thing for the people who elected them?
    What was so important to them that they felt they had no alternative but to leave the Labour Party? Why not tell us???
    In my view new elections should be run so the voters can find out exactly why the 10 chose this action.
    The voters in the wards concerned, I believe, deserve at least to be told why they are being taken for granted by the 10 and be given their voting choice again due to the changed circumstances.
    If the 10 feel their reasons are sound then they should feel confident of being re-elected.
    As it stands these councillors are still picking up their pay packets but not representing the people that voted them in.
    It stinks! The voting public deserve better.

99DylanJones
    Participant

What happens within the Labor Group clearly shows how personalities can get in the way. Ripples from within their respective camps seems to indicate that the future of Plas Madoc was a key issue yet the defectors from the Labor Group at last weeks Executive voted for the lease and the £50k for year one even though they were the ones that voted to close the Centre.
    There were rumors of interference from ‘outsiders’ – as the only people within the Labour Group meetings who can vote are Elected Members then how can outsiders have such control. Do Labour Councilors no longer believe in the democratic process of free voting and majority rule.
    It really does look like personality politics came to a head with leadership challenges that were brewing so did the Leader and personal followers jump ship before this happened.
    The manner in which the electorate have been treated with such contempt is disgraceful. They may have abided by the rules of Local Government that do not insist on By elections when someone swops parties but shows that not one of them have a moral backbone between. At least the electorate in the recent by election where a conservative resigned from the party and his seat so that a By Election could be held with him standing as UKIP. Regardless of what people think about UKIP he did the honourable thing and allowed the electorate the chance of deciding who they wanted to represent them in future with a given set of manifesto issues.
    Come on defectors let’s see which one of you has the courage to stand before the electorate and give them the chance to see if they still want you on the Council.

Alunh
    Participant

I quite like the fact that local politics has become more fluid and that Councillors have rejected their party lines on some sort of principle. I don’t like “party politics” at local level and the issues of running the schools and cleaning the streets should be more about getting concrete results than party dogma.

I certainly wouldn’t waste a penny of public money having some sort of recall system and holding another election….the voters will decide next time around and that is soon enough.

I can see that it must be frustrating for those of you are more party minded than me to have voted for an individual under a party banner only to see them jump ship over “something” but the whole thing makes for a more issue driven future detached from party lines

johnhoppy
    Participant

I agree with Alunh that party politics should not feature highly in local government. Parties formulate policies nationally and locally in the hope of getting their nominees elected, and once elected it is inevitable that non elected members of parties will try to influence their elected representatives. This will from time to time interfere with the democratic process. (or is this the democratic process???)

Forlorn Hope
    Participant

Whilst I agree in principal with what Alun and John say, let’s not forget one thing. These 10 are not high minded public servants who believe, like you, that local Government should be above party politics. They are ‘career’ politicians who were elected on a Labour ticket. They only jumped ship because they had lost the argument within their own Group and wouldn’t accept the democratic process.

I vote at elections on part lines (as is my prerogative) and if any of these were representing my ward I would be well hacked-off.

Rogers is there leader and so, as a matter of principal, should stand at a bi-election to test his argument democratically. have you got the bottle, Neil? Thought not!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

McLovin it? Plans resubmitted for third city centre McDonald’s

News

Plans for Senedd increase and voting system change move forward

News

Chester Zoo welcomes rare male giant otter to help save his species

News

The Role Of Landlords In Shaping Wrexham’s Housing Future

News

Racecourse could be 55,000 capacity stadium say Rob and Ryan

News

Wrexham gang who targeted families for sentimental gold jailed for more than 14 years

News