Chuggers in Wrexham Town Centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Chuggers in Wrexham Town Centre

• Author

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

I’m getting a bit fed up of not being able to walk through the town centre without being harassed by one of these people. It’s like walking through a mine field where they will jump in front of you and try and block your path. I really dislike their techniques, their false Nicey nice persona, asking you leading questions and not taking no for answer. You manage to brush one off and then another jumps put at you..

Is there anything that can be done to stop them? I don’t object to old school charity fundraisers with buckets you can chuck a few quid in, however I don’t think it’s acceptable to harass people who are just going about their business into handing over their bank details to strangers. I’ve noticed you never see them on Eagles Meadow, presumably they are not allow to humbug people on there?

KidA
    Participant

Totally agree. They seem to target ladies as they tend to be more polite than men. I don’t think there’s much can be done as the Town is a public highway whereas EM is private land so they would need permission. I also think it impacts the genuine charity collectors who are not commission based
    My advice..be polite but firm.

Liam
    Participant

Not sure if they’re chuggers or salespeople, but the ones outside WHSmiths are particularly pushy. I like to go for the fake phone call approach to avoid them. It’s particularly annoying if you’re only on a short lunch break.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Not a lot that can be done, I’m afraid.
    Under the Charities Act, if a charity has a street collection day collecting cash from individuals, then a licence is required, issuable by the Local Authority.
    If no cash is collected, only bank details, no licence is required.
    Sounds ridiculous, but that’s the way it is and however irritating they are, they are operating within the law as it stands.
    Local Authorities have been pushing for several years for a change in the law, but as yet, to no avail.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Some Councils do set By laws about times and try to reduce harassment. What I don’t like about this form is that very little donation goes to charity in year one.

Darlofan
    Participant

McDonald’s have this problem. Last 3 visits to Chirk one and we’ve had a member of staff trying to sell us raffle tickets, tombola tickets etc. At the till wouldn’t be too bad but this is while we’re eating our meals.

harry
    Participant

i just keep walking and ignore them

DR
    Participant

@Liam 14667 wrote:

Not sure if they’re chuggers or salespeople, but the ones outside WHSmiths are particularly pushy. I like to go for the fake phone call approach to avoid them. It’s particularly annoying if you’re only on a short lunch break.

Agreed! Likewise not sure if they’re chuggers or salespeople, but if you manage to sneak past on your way into the shop. They’ll get you on the way out.

Very annoying if you stop off in the shop a few times a week.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Calls for first minister to hand back £200,000 donation from convicted environmental polluter

News

A view from Mark Isherwood – Welsh Conservative North Wales Member of the Senedd

News

School dinners “failing to fill” children in Wales, concerning new survey shows

News

Weather warning issued with thunderstorms forecast this afternoon

News

Take photo ID and GO VOTE for the next Police and Crime Commissioner

News

Plans for major expansion of Wrexham Industrial Estate to go ahead despite concerns

News