Plas Madoc

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plas Madoc

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

When the Council ran the Plas Madoc it made a loss in the region of £500,000 per year , the new Splash Magic Trust have reduced that already to just over £13,000. Prior to the Trust taking over the Council neglected the facility as they had planned to demolish it. The Council have a bottomless pit of money when it comes to consultants, Price Waterhouse Coopers have received over £2,000,000 and the original consultants who told us Waterworld was falling down ( now miraculously it has a life span over 25 years) cost £54,000. In addition when it comes to the Arts Hub again money is no object , in fact additional VVP momey has been added. Surely if there is a willingness within the Council a line of a financial “bridge” can be found.

Whittam12000
    Participant

Totally agree. I wonder what Wrexham Council would say if we with hold our council tax payments and say we do not get value for our money! I was brought up with Plas Madoc, I learned to swim there, went to Karatw there and have used the centre for the last 35 plus years.

The reason that the centre has cost money so far is to put right the decades of neglect by Wrexham Council. Splash Magic has already shown the potential the centre has, however the council is determined to ensure that the venture fails as it embarrasses them. They would rather waste money rather than support community services and facilities for the elderly such as Plas yn Rhos.

Time for a revolution.

wrexview
    Participant

So the Executive Board , or more precisely the Leader of the Council will not allow a public question by Splash Madoc to be asked at the next meeting. Exceptions can always be made if there is a will to see fair play and what have the Executive Board got to lose by allowing the question? Unless of course they want to nod the decision through with no comment at all !

CarolThomas
    Participant

Wrexview – when have you ever seen an Executive Board decsion not going through on the nod– has there ever been a time when the vote was nit 10 – 0 in favour of the Lead Members report.
    the deabate (if that’s what you can call it) all takes place before the public meeting and the other 40 odd Councillors have no chance of changeing a recomendation. It is dictatorial politics with only one way — my may (in this casec The Leader of the Council).

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=124016]Wrexview – when have you ever seen an Executive Board decsion not going through on the nod– has there ever been a time when the vote was nit 10 – 0 in favour of the Lead Members report.
    the deabate (if that’s what you can call it) all takes place before the public meeting and the other 40 odd Councillors have no chance of changeing a recomendation. It is dictatorial politics with only one way — my may (in this casec The Leader of the Council).

Hi Carol – ” was there ever a time when it was not 10-0 in favour of Lead Members reports?
    Yes- up to May 2015 the executive board was politically balanced and on occasion the vote was 7-3 or 8-2 but the present Independent/Tory cabal subsequently took all the places for themselves. That created 3 extra Lead Member salaries cost > £30k and when given an option to take a lower rate or higher rate ,as put forward by the Independent Renumeration Panel I will give you one guess which was chosen cost > £22k.
    And they can’t afford even £50k for Splash!

Animal Mother
    Participant

Looks like good news.

wrexview
    Participant

Good to see the Council seeing the sense of keeping Splash Magic open , now they will be able to access monies from the Welsh Assembly as well.

Ponciau
    Participant

All gone quiet on here about Plas madoc me thinks you don’t like good news😎

Whittam12000
    Participant

Fantastic news about Splash Magic!

Wrexham Council have got a cheek saying on tonight’s BBC news that they still have concerns regarding Splash Magics financial governance with they councils track record. Pot, Kettle and Black springs to mind.

PhilWynn
    Participant

I was pleased for the staff, volunteers and users of Splash Magic that WCBC’s Executive Board members were able to support a further cash injection of £50k.
    I appreciate SM’s Board needs to recruit new blood to improve their governance arrangements and having spoken with two of their Directors I wish them well.
    Hopefully the Welsh Government can now quickly confirm how their £500k capital grant will be provided and if needs be will allow the money to be spent in 2017/18 so as to take the pressure off the Directors, as an end of March deadline seems unrealistic.

Cllr Phil Wynn

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News