Car Parking in Wrexham : Take Note Wrexham Council

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Car Parking in Wrexham : Take Note Wrexham Council

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

Angry Re: New Car Parking Charges
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    Is the town quieter because of the parking charges, probably at least in part, doesn’t help anyway.
    We all know various people with seemingly odd shopping habits.
    Some elderly folk with bus passes that live in surrounding villages travel into King Street using their bus passes, then catch a bus to Chester or Mold or even further to do their shopping, argument being things are less spread out once getting off the bus, plus its a day out. They prefer this to walking to Eagles Meadow for M&S etc, maybe the ShoppaHoppa was more useful than realised.
    More often than not they treat themselves to a few pints and something to eat or at least teas/coffees. All good for shops and pubs and cafes in Chester, and the bus strip is paid by WAG for people to spend in England.
    Maybe trips to destinations outside Wales shouldn’t be part of their bus pass, or maybe it all helps the bus companies keep fares down.

Then there are ( usually ) younger people but oldies too that are lucky enough to have cars but seem to feel paying to park when shopping or visiting the cinema is outrageous. They will rather spend the money on fuel and visit the cinema at Cheshire Oaks with free parking, and to make the most of the trip perhaps do some shopping at M&S, ASDA and the outlet village plus have something to eat.

There will always be those that like a daytrip somewhere different but the planners that incorporated chargeable parking at Eagles Meadow reduced the attraction of a visit, even before considering several negative incidents of penalty tickets publicised which also deters people.
    I haven’t a clue how these things are put together so far as incentives to locate, but surely Debenhams, M&S, the Odeon etc must have realised a chargeable car park puts them at a disadvantage, and the eating establishments even more so. A free car park should have been insisted upon.

Even within the small group of people that I am aware of, there is no doubt Eagles Meadow and Wrexham town centre – is that the right order of importance these days – are both losing out because of the parking costs compared to other destinations.

On a sunny day for instance you can take the kids to Llandudno and park in the street for 90 minutes without charge, that pays for ice creams if nothing else. There are always plenty of shoppers milling about. You can’t compare Wrexham to Llandudno I suppose but everytime I walk around Wrexham town centre there are less and less shops, and less reasons to justify paying a high parking charge. Might as well just go to TESCO and ASDA instead.

WMBC should seriously think about attracting the shoppers that like to like to have a walk around, have a coffee with a cake and not just sit in the house ordering everything from Amazon !

:o
    This is the best post that I have seen on this forum, and I would imagine the majority of Wrexham people like me would not disagree with a single word, which begs the question, why can’t people in positions to do something about all Katias points do something to rectify the obvious problems in Wrexham..

locallad
    Participant

I prefer not to use The Peoples Market Car Park as it is Dirty,Untidy.The stairwells smells of Urine & Cannabis.They make plenty of money from car parking,so spend some on that Dirty car park, & people may comeback.

Alunh
    Participant

@locallad 12843 wrote:

I prefer not to use The Peoples Market Car Park as it is Dirty,Untidy.The stairwells smells of Urine & Cannabis.They make plenty of money from car parking,so spend some on that Dirty car park, & people may comeback.

……..and at the bottom of one stairwell the graffiti is still there……..it reads Deno the fat ####. It has been there is full sight for several YEARS despite having been pointed out to nearly every official who works for Wrexham CBC

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Great post and so very true. I can’t bothered to visit the town now….its just to much hassle. The Car Park which is so convenient, is perversely strangling the trade.

The comments about the youngsters…spot on.

WCBC really need to listen, as do the multi-nationals

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News