Electronic Bus Signs

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Electronic Bus Signs

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

This is a prime example of bidding for money to install technology which soon becomes outdated and the Council not having any money to update or repair . I noticed, the recently installed electronic car parking signs are often either switched off or broken. One sign seems to just have the letters “LLL” lit up and nothing else! Similarly the Webcasting not working this week, the initial funding has finished and any extra cost for updating or repairs will fall ,as an extra, on the Council Budget.

johnhoppy
    Participant

@wrexview 18499 wrote:

This is a prime example of bidding for money to install technology which soon becomes outdated and the Council not having any money to update or repair . I noticed, the recently installed electronic car parking signs are often either switched off or broken. One sign seems to just have the letters “LLL” lit up and nothing else! Similarly the Webcasting not working this week, the initial funding has finished and any extra cost for updating or repairs will fall ,as an extra, on the Council Budget.

This is a case of spending money just because it is available, with no thought as to the ongoing commitment to keep these systems running. Wherever the grant monies came from originally, it is OUR money that is being spent. No doubt the bus companies will also have spent money to install equipment on their vehicles to comply with the system, and I would imagine that they feel a little cheated by now as well.

Will this be the fate of the proposed Arts and Cultural Centre which is proposed for the Peoples Market once the grant funding for that project finishes? Not so easy to just switch that off !!

moggsie
    Participant

@johnhoppy 18501 wrote:

This is a case of spending money just because it is available, with no thought as to the ongoing commitment to keep these systems running. Wherever the grant monies came from originally, it is OUR money that is being spent. No doubt the bus companies will also have spent money to install equipment on their vehicles to comply with the system, and I would imagine that they feel a little cheated by now as well.

Will this be the fate of the proposed Arts and Cultural Centre which is proposed for the Peoples Market once the grant funding for that project finishes? Not so easy to just switch that off !!

Spot on John. A common problem in today’s knee-jerk society. It’s travelling too fast for our decision-makers brains to operate effectively.

jimbow
    Participant

Why is it that people on these forums can see the problems with sustainability, when the powers that be cannot ? :confused:

wrexview
    Participant

The real problem is firmly in the lap of the Welsh Assembly, they should stop withholding money from Councils and then gradually releasing some finance that can only be spent as dictated by them. The £40,000 initial spending offered to all 22 Councils on Webcasting is just one example. Wrexham Council would have much preferred the £40,000 to be added to their budget so they could spend it on necessities. What is the total amount per year that is withheld in this way?

zinger
    Participant

I agree. That was the problem with solar panels put on council house roofs. There was a limited time frame for them to be installed for a grant. How much extra did it cost though to have the panels removed again whilst having old roofs renewed, and then replaced again? The Welsh Assembly & the EU treat local government with contempt. They say ‘Jump’ & the councils say ‘How high!’

BenjaminM
    Participant

@jimbow 18504 wrote:

Why is it that people on these forums can see the problems with sustainability, when the powers that be cannot ? :confused:

Because the contributors to this forum have exceptional powers of hindsight and are more than eager to jump on the bandwagon when things do go wrong.

Always, always half empty, never half full.

Some positivity would be a pleasant and refreshing change……. Please!!!!!!

MP1953
    Participant

@BenjaminM 18511 wrote:

Because the contributors to this forum have exceptional powers of hindsight and are more than eager to jump on the bandwagon when things do go wrong.

Here I go again BenjaminM !! :)

Its half empty because virtually anything to do with Wrexham Council invariably does go wrong, and are poor decisions from the outset…

jimbow
    Participant

@BenjaminM 18511 wrote:

I have no exceptional powers of hindsight and do not believe that by expressing my view is jumping on the bandwagon. I get the impression from your posts that you are the Council’s No 1 fan. During my business lifetime I have dealt with the Council in my manufacturing business, and also my retail business. Believe you me they leave a lot to be desired. As for positivity how can my one vote change their thinking ?

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Should WCBC spend £20K on fixing an electronic white elephant, or give it to Social services, Libraries, Youth Clubs etc…etc….easy really.

What they definitely should do is disconnect them [still powered up] and remove them.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

North Wales calls reiterates campaign to reinstate Llandegla and Tweedmill bus routes

News

Large quantity of cash and drugs seized during police warrant

News

McLovin it? Plans resubmitted for third city centre McDonald’s

News

Plans for Senedd increase and voting system change move forward

News

Chester Zoo welcomes rare male giant otter to help save his species

News

The Role Of Landlords In Shaping Wrexham’s Housing Future

News