Posted: Mon 9th Dec 2019

Warning after man falsely claimed to work for council in bid to access property in Gwersyllt for people living in or visiting the wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Monday, Dec 9th, 2019

Residents across Wrexham are being warned of a man falsely claiming to be from Wrexham Council’s “gas and water board” to attempt to gain access to a property.

The man reportedly approached a woman at her home in Gwersyllt and when asked to provide valid ID was unable to do so.

Suspicious of this, the woman then called up Wrexham Council when it was confirmed to her that the man didn’t work for the local authority.

The trader later returned with another man and was more aggressive, banging on the door and shaking the door handle to try and gain entry, which left the woman and her husband feeling very intimated.

Wrexham Council doesn’t have a ‘water board’. All service providers such as Hafren Dyfrdwy would make an appointment before visiting – they wouldn’t call out of the blue expecting to gain entry into your home.

Roger Mapleson, Trading Standards and licensing lead, said: “It’s good to see that in this case the householder identified that the caller was suspicious and took steps to check and protect themselves. However, this doesn’t always happen.

“Many people faced with this kind of situation will be either charmed or intimidated by the caller and can end up becoming a victim of doorstep crime, paying large sums for unnecessary and poor quality work.

“Householders faced with a caller who says they are from the council or any other organisation should try to check with the organisation directly to verify that the caller is genuine. Any legitimate caller will completely understand and will wait while checks are made.

“If in the end you cannot be sure that the call is genuine, don’t let the person into your house or give them personal information. If the caller becomes aggressive or if you are feeling threatened at all, call the Police.

“I urge all residents to be on their guard against this type of caller, report anything suspicious in your neighbourhood and, in particular lookout for friends, family and neighbours who may be vulnerable”.

If you want to report something you think is suspicious, please contact either Citizens Advice Consumer Services on 03454 040506 or North Wales Police on 101. If you want to complain or get any advice about goods or services you have bought please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Services on 03454 040506.

Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email


Appeal after “altercation” on the A5 near Chirk McDonald’s


Secondary school head teachers across region express disappointment and concern over A Level downgrading


“Improvement Notice” issued to Chequers over “breach” of coronavirus regulations


Outdoor dining to be introduced on town’s High Street to help boost the evening economy


Appeal over refusal of food outlet plans in Wrexham is thrown out amid concerns over road safety


Number of coronavirus related deaths and staff testing at Wrexham Maelor Hospital released by health board