Warning issued after spate of trailer thefts in Glyn Ceiriog and Corwen
Police have issued a warning to residents in rural communities following a spate of trailer thefts.
The incidents have taken place in the Corwen and Glyn Ceiriog areas.
Police say that that Ifor Williams horse, Livestock and Plant trailers have been taken over the past few weeks.
A spokesperson for North Wales Police said: “If your trailer is stored in a building or on hard standing consider using ground anchor with a heavy duty chain.
“Park them out of sight, use visible deterrents such as police stop anti tamper stickers, postcodes to the roof and forensic marking .
“Keep records of the serial, chassis and model numbers and take photos including any markings.”
In November it was reported that officers were carrying out additional patrols in Glyn Ceiriog in response to the trailer thefts, with the following advice issued by NWP Rural Crime Team:
- Good quality CCTV and motion sensor security lights are highly recommended. If considering CCTV there are many on the market that can alert you when activated.
- Consider fitting anti-theft products such as hitch locks, wheel clamps and locking wheel nuts. If your trailer is stored in a shed or on a hard concrete surface, a ground anchor with a heavy-duty chain should be considered.
- Park them out of sight and in particular from the road. But if you must park them on the driveway, consider closing and securing gates. A vehicle bollard will also provide an extra visible deterrent.
- Keep records of the serial, chassis, and model numbers. Take clear photos of all angles or a video if possible. Make note of anything distinctive including modifications or markings.
- Using a recognised forensic marking is highly effective and visible deterrent and established method of reducing theft. NWP Rural Crime Team are currently working with ‘SmartWater’ as means of forensic marking, and there are similar products on the market.
- Using a tracker device can be vital in tracing stolen trailers and horseboxes. They may seem expensive, but vehicles fitted with one have a much higher rate of recovery.
- If you witness anything suspicious please let us know as soon as possible
Spotted something? Got a story? Email [email protected]