Posted: Fri 23rd Feb 2024

UK Gov Transport Secretary holds talks on £1bn North Wales Rail upgrade

Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the Wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Friday, Feb 23rd, 2024

UK Government Transport Secretary Mark Harper is holding talks today on plans for upgrading the rail network in North Wales.

The roundtable will take place in Llandudno with local MPs, councillors and business leaders to discuss the future of the North Wales Main Line.

The focus of the discussion is the UK Government’s plan to invest £1 billion in upgrading and electrifying the crucial rail link as part of a broader strategy to enhance UK connectivity and stimulate economic growth.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak confirmed the termination of the remaining phases of the High-Speed Rail 2 (HS2), stopping the link between Birmingham and Manchester during a keynote speech at the Conservative Party conference last October.

Despite HS2 not touching Welsh soil, it has been argued that the improvements in the northwest of England would benefit travellers and commuters in North Wales.

Mr Sunak announced that funding for the second leg of HS2 would instead be diverted into hundreds of other projects – including a potential £1 billion for the electrification of the North Wales Mainline between Chester and Holyhead.

The North Wales Main Line, a 126-mile stretch connecting Crewe, Warrington, Wrexham, and Holyhead. The latter serves as a key ferry point to Dublin.

Transport Secretary Mark Harper highlighted the vital role of the North Wales Main Line in the UK’s transport network.

He said: “The North Wales Main Line is a vital transport link, and our billion-pound plan will deliver faster and more reliable rail services for passengers in North Wales and the North West of England.

“Our plan is made possible by our decision to reallocate every penny of the £36bn saved from HS2 into hundreds of transport projects across the UK. This major upgrade will improve rail journeys, improve connections to jobs and help grow the economy.

“I look forward to meeting local leaders and businesses today to discuss the benefits this project will bring.”

However the potential £1 billion upgrade has been met with skepticism.

Economy Minister Vaughan Gething highlighted the lack of detailed planning and questioned whether the £1 billion would be sufficient.

Prof Stewart Cole, from the University of South Wales and a Welsh government adviser on transport, echoed these sentiments.

He pointed out that the £1bn figure might be outdated, suggesting that with construction costs increasing annually, the real cost might be closer to £1.5 billion or more.



Spotted something? Got a story? Email [email protected]



Have a look at...

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

“Constructive” meeting over odour complaints at Hafod landfill

Hundreds facing cancer treatment delays as waiting times hit second-worst on record

Thrilling new water park to waves in North Wales seaside town

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

“Wrexham is the place for investment” says Lead councillor for economy

Welsh Government will ‘look again’ at A483 junctions upgrades after scrapping plan last year

Former PCSO leads crime fighting mission in North Wales with cash seized from criminals