Security alert stood down at Wrexham Maelor Hospital after four hour lockdown – Access to the hospital no longer restricted
UPDATE: North Wales Police’s CI Mark Williams said: “I would like to thank staff, patients and the public for their cooperation and patience following what appears to have been a hoax call to Wrexham Maelor Hospital.”
“Our priority throughout this afternoon’s incident was to ensure people were kept safe.”
UPDATE: The incident response at Wrexham Maelor Hospital has been stood down. The health board have said “A search of the Wrexham Maelor was carried out following reports of a suspicious package. We have worked with North Wales Police to carry out a search, which has now been completed. Access to the hospital is no longer restricted and we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused”
Staff had been told not to leave locations inside the hospital and refrain from touching unknown objects. Access in and out of the site had been locked off.
UPDATE 4:20PM The local health board has said, “We are working with North Wales Police following a security alert at the WMH site. The hospital has not been evacuated, but the movement of people to and from the site is being restricted while the investigation continues. We would like to remind people not to attend the hospital.”
Further earlier information below…
There is a large emergency services presence at the Wrexham Maelor Hospital this afternoon.
The entrance to the hospital car park has been closed off with some saying that it has been put on “lockdown” – with police vehicles also blocking parts of Croesnewydd Road as pictured above via Simon Jones.
There are also multiple reports of a “bomb scare” – we have asked North Wales Police and the health board for clarity on this.
One person told us that “security currently stopping anyone from leaving or entering the building and everyone has been moved away from the main car park.”
Wrexham Town Inspector, Luke Hughes has confirmed that officers are in attendance at an “ongoing incident” and that “at this time there is no immediate risk to the public”.
Insp Hughes added: “Officers will support the hospital staff and provide reassurance until the incident is concluded.
“I would urge all members of the public to avoid the area to prevent congestion and allow officers to resolve the incident as promptly as possible.”
A spokesperson for North Wales Police added: “We are currently dealing with an incident at the Wrexham Maelor Hospital. Please avoid the area until further notice.”
A spokesperson for Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board said: “Due to an ongoing incident at Wrexham Maelor Hospital that is being managed by North Wales Police, we are asking people not to attend their planned appointments (22 April 2021) and to avoid the site.
“The hospital has not been evacuated, but the movement of people to and from the site is being restricted while the investigation continues.
“We would like to remind people not to attend the hospital.”
Anyone know why Wrexham hospital has been sealed off by the police? @wrexham
— Money Mental (@moneymentaluk) April 22, 2021
Something currently happening at the Maelor in @wrexham ..not sure what.. Security currently stopping anyone from leaving or entering the building and everyone has been moved away from the main car park ????
— riley. (@laurenrileyg) April 22, 2021
@wrexham what’s happening at the maelor hospital it’s on full lockdown and heavy police coverage?
— Kieron Torrens (@KieronTorrens) April 22, 2021
Please avoid the Wrexham Maelor site if possible. https://t.co/jKda2ezzcF
— Sarah Atherton MP (@AthertonNWales) April 22, 2021
We have contacted North Wales Police and Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board and will update as and when we receive further information.
Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@Wrexham.com