Who should we hold responsible ?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Who should we hold responsible ?

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

On looking back into Council reports to challenge Councillor Wynn’s stance on City Status I came across the following detail.

Back in 2016 a “Strategic Asset Management Plan SAMP 2016/21” was published by WCBC. The document outlined a five-year plan to “improve the aesthetic and offering of Wrexham’s indoor markets”.

Update of progress on SAMP for 2016/17 included refurbishment of two key stalls in the Butchers Market and repairs to the walls and flooring in the Butchers Market Cafe. I am led to believe that the cost of the two stall refurbishment was in the region of £20k. This was done to accommodate a trader relocation from the Peoples Market due to the Ty Pawb build. Apparently the trader would not relocate there as the rent being asked was too high and took premises in another location in the town. I would add that these two stalls have hardly been let since that refurbishment.

The report notes”Physical improvements within the two markets are required for this area to be a catalyst for private investment in other buildings around High Street, Charles Street, and Henblas.” The Council control very few assets in the Town Centre and the ownership of these buildings offers an opportunity for the Council direct intervention in rejuvenating the Town Centre.

I appreciate covid, the last eighteen months has not helped. However, the years 2017/18/19 this project has stood still. Is it the responsibility of the Employment Business Investment Scrutiny Committee or full- time Council Officers?

Matt
    Participant

See, they can’t even get the market right in a market town, so would they prefer it to become a City of Culture where there’s no culture?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News