Mixing Pedestrians and Cycleways !

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Mixing Pedestrians and Cycleways !

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

https://www.camcycle.org.uk/magazine/newsletter111/article11/

The modern thinking is NOT to have mixed use lanes for pedestrians and bicycles. For the safety of all users bikes and pedestrians need to be separated. Cities like Cambridge haven’t used mixed use lanes for over a decade! The article above was published in 2013!

Born Acorn
    Participant

I think England’s LTN 1/20 backs this up: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/951074/cycle-infrastructure-design-ltn-1-20.pdf – not sure if there’s a Welsh equivalent.

Today’s proposals seem to have this sort of segregated design in mind.

zinger
    Participant

Should motorised mobility scooters also have a dedicated lane for safety sake?

pete
    Participant

Wrexham Council’s own policy was not to have shared footway/cycleways but that seems to have gone out the door over the last few years.

Andy
    Participant

On the segregated paths in Wrexham (Grey/Red) People always walk in the Cycle lane for some reason.
    If the Council wish to promote cycling in the City, secure cycle storage at the station and in the centre are a must.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Don’t forget also that pedestrianised areas mean just that. I am absolutely fed up with cyclists using Regent St and Hope St like a racing track threading between shoppers going about their daily
    business.

Cyclists seem to want to rule the roost with impunity as if they are a special breed.

Andy
    Participant

Cyclists are allowed to use Regent st and Hope st.

zinger
    Participant

Maybe some people could do with looking back at 1930’s newspapers in the archives concerning cyclists, safety, cycle tracks & accident statistics. Journalists in those days actually reported news & make very interesting reading.

Councillor X
    Participant

I remember a Bobby on a bike giving me a clip around the ear for cheek. Then he told my dad and i got another smack. This is what we are missing these days.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Just make sure that it is heavily policed and any cyclists out of bike lane should be shot, also pedestrians who don’t walk on the pavement (Rhos) same and mobility scooters who use the road should be flattened by a lorry.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News