Lowering Voting Age to 16 Years Old

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lowering Voting Age to 16 Years Old

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

The Labour Party consider 16 year olds to be mature enough to vote in General Elections.Do they also think they are mature enough to learn to drive, drink alcohol , buy fireworks , knives and to be sentenced as adults by a court of law ? Surely the same level of maturity is needed to do all of the above.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by wrexview.

parkingmad
    Participant

Don’t know who I will be voting for yet but it will not be labour, I don’t trust them. I would buy a season ticket for Chester FC before I vote labour.

Win
    Participant

It’s all about ‘inclusivity’ (whatever that is) apparently, and making young people feel as though they ‘matter’ and that their views are ‘important’ to the political process. Sounds like a bunch of bananas to me and everyone (adults) I’ve mentioned it to concur that it’s a silly idea. But hey, what do we know ? We’re only the electorate !

Transportuser
    Participant

I’m sure 16 year olds would appreciate, and deserve, a say particularly when governments are proposing contentious legislation that would impact on them specifically, before they have a chance to vote.
    Amongst my peers I’ve certainly not seen overall condemnation of the idea, it’s a mixed set of opinions with many pros and cons amongst a group of mainly pensionable age.
    Considering what you can hear spouted by “adults”, when discussing the state of the nation, I can’t see youngsters being any more contentious or ill informed!

As for who to vote for, it’s more of a matter of who not.
    Personally, I’ve had enough of the current bunch of charlatans!

Win
    Participant

An odd concept that 16 year anniversary olds ‘…deserve a say’. Why only 16 year olds, I wonder, not 15 year olds or 13 year olds ? As future voters perhaps there should be a toddlers’ parliament ?

“Deserve a say” my left foot !

BenjaminM
    Participant

I totally agree with the comments made by Transportuser.
    They are the generation of the future and it is only right and proper that they get a meaningful say in things that concern them now, and for years to come.
    Older people who are against it are protectionist who’s main concern is whether their triple lock pension will be protected and what is in it for them, hence, more Tory voters are located within the senior age group.
    As my dad used to say “a good young ‘un will beat good old ‘un any day.”

Transportuser
    Participant

In answer to why 16.
    How about, that’s the age of recruitment to the forces as a regular soldier?
    Old enough for that decision, old enough to vote. Or do you propose moving the recruitment age to 18 as well.
    Just look at the history of voting.
    Initially only landowners.
    It took until 1832 for middle class men to get the vote and it took a World War to give working men the right qt 21 years of age. But still very few women.
    A further 50 years passed before a reduction to 18 years of age.
    Even then the rules excluded many, I suspect for political reasons.
    It was extremely annoying to know that I was working, paying taxes, etc yet had no say in things!
    The only positive was there was no longer the lunacy of national service.

wrexview
    Participant

A standardised age would be common sense, to be seen as an adult ,to do Jury Service, drive a car, buy fireworks and knives , join the army , stand for parliament and vote.

Transportuser
    Participant

Another interesting point.
    There is no minimum age for a shareholder unless imposed by a provision in the company’s articles of association. Likewise for people with significant control. But you cannot appoint a minor under the age of 16 as a director or company secretary.
    So, at 16 you can have, effectively, control of a company of any size!
    Something I came across when checking on a local company!

zinger
    Participant

I am not sure that the joining the armed forces is a viable reason for being allowed to vote as they may only join with parental consent.
    It is also my understanding that they would not be deployed to the front line until age 18.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Local councillors welcome opening of new Ponciau convenience store

News

Hope House launches ‘Let’s Do Dinner’ campaign for a fun foodie experience

News

Young artists inspired by dementia-friendly gardens at Wrexham care home

News

Wrexham pupils helping to pave the way for change

News

New bike and scooter racks give local library active travel boost

News

Coleg Cambria sending largest team to WorldSkills UK finals 2024