Fact check Eluned Morgan statement on Betsi
July 7, 2023 at 1:25 pm #236978
The statement from Eluned Morgan and the report published by Wrexham.com needs some fact checking.
1. Allegations were made that the Health Minister told the independent board members, “they had 50 minutes to resign or she’d sack them, and in so doing bar them from other public appointments for two years.”
The Minister or Welsh Government have not denied this in the Senedd when asked by both Darren Miller MS and Llyr Griffiths MS
2. Ms Morgan revealed that a new interim chair and independent members have been appointed to join the existing executive directors to form a new board.
A Special Measures Assurance Board has also been established, chaired by the Welsh Government, to support BCUHB’s journey to improve and eventually navigate an effective route out of Special Measures
Whilst it may be the Board sign off but that is based on the Health Ministers Special Advisors and Health Officials – the Board is not autonomous as evidenced in their own Board papers.
3. Both of thee items were being planned last year and totally pre date Special measures so have not occurred due to the Minister implementing Special Measures.
Notably, the quarterly report outlines several achievements, including the creation of a new board, and continuing success in cancer services, which have historically been one of the best performing in Wales.
The report also highlighted specific improvements, such as occupational therapists in Flintshire and Wrexham working from GP practices, thereby reducing waiting times by an average of nine weeks
4. patient experience and stroke care. - If you are stroke victim lying on the floor at home waiting for an ambulance for 12 hours or more how can this be an improvement- care in hospital may have improved but if you cant get there it is no use.
5. Innovations like the Morris Café for dementia patients at Wrexham Maelor Hospital and the NHS 111 press 2 service for mental health being made available 24/7 in North Wales are just a few examples of the positive steps being made.
The Morris Cafe has been nearly 12 months in the planning by the new Dementia Leadership team last year – so pre dates Special Measures.
The 111 press 2 is an all Wales service that pre dates Special Measures but Betsi was one of the last to take this up in the whole of Wales scheme.
Open question to Eluned Morgan Health Minister and our own Members of the Senedd Lesley Griffiths and Ken Skates –
“What exactly has been achieved in North Wales since the Health Board has been put back into Special Measures?”October 16, 2023 at 3:25 pm #241579
Maybe Eluned Morgan should look into the way waiting times in A&E have been manipulated to be better than they are for TEN YEARS !
Not surprising when ever Labour quote Welsh Labour controlled Senedd and the NHS the people who live in Wales know how poor their management has and still is. Hope no one is taken in by the Labour Party’s promise of seven day a week working to get the waiting list down…..there is no quick solution and all politicians know that.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.