Dog Walking Ban at Rhos Cemetery

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Dog Walking Ban at Rhos Cemetery

• Author

Win
    Participant

I don’t think Rhosllanerchrugog Community Council have any option other than to ban dog walkers from the cemetery. How it will be policed on the very popular shortcut it’s become is difficult to see, though.

It’s come to a pretty pass where so-called ‘responsible’ dog owners have so little respect for the funerary rites and memory of others that they allow their mutts to defecate on graves ! There really are some horrible people about.

This isn’t just a Rhos issue … it’s unfortunately become very common in burial grounds all around the UK. Even at Abney Park Cemetery in Tower Hamlets (where, interestingly, Betsi Cadwallader is interred) the trustees are trying to get dog walking banned for this very reason.

katy
    Blocked

The councils statement said “There is significant dog fouling all over the cemetery, even on gravestones, with individuals allowing their dogs to come into the cemetery unsupervised, as well as dog walkers not picking up after their dogs, even though there are dog foul bag dispensers at the cemetery.”

So the problem comes from:
    1. Roaming dogs
    2. Dog walkers allowing their dogs to their business and not picking it up.

Will banning dogs solve the problem?
    1. Will roaming dogs see the signs and go somewhere else?
    2. Will the dog walkers (the problem ones, who are already happy to ignore the law and allow their dogs to foul without picking it up) obey the request to not walk their dogs through the cemetery?

I think the answer to both of the above is no. The problem is not dogs in the cemetery, the problem is dogs defecating and it not being picked up. We already have something in place to deal with that – a law that says you can’t do it and allows fines of upto £1000 for breaches. Why not just police that rule instead of coming with another rule that has exactly the same level of fines (i assume they would be using a PSPO for this).

But this is a council so they will probably waste a load of money implementing this (ignoring any feedback they get back from the tick-box exercise of a consultation) and it will change nothing.

Win
    Participant

You’re probably right, Katy.

Another problem they’re having at Abney Park Cemetery is that dogs off their leads are digging on graves, as dogs do. Granted there’s more opportunity for dogs to disappear from view there than in an open cemetery like in Rhos, but I do hope it’s not going to become a problem in Rhos too.

Born Acorn
    Participant

Seems a bit pointless to me, it’s like banning criminals from breaking the law.

Better enforcement is the answer, but where does that money come from?

Councillor X
    Participant

Out of respect i thought dogs were banned from cemeteries. I certainly wouln’t take Spot to visit a grave.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News

Senedd rejects calls to introduce for academies and free schools in Wales

News

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News