Posted: Wed 9th Jun 2021

Wrexham Council awarded £285,000 to undertake major flood repairs in Wrexham

Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Wednesday, Jun 9th, 2021

Wrexham Council has been awarded £285,000 to carry out repairs caused by severe storms over the winter.

The funding from Welsh Government, which follows a successful bid put in earlier in this year, will be spent on four flood repair schemes.

These include surface water drainage, upgraded pipe and outfall design in the Gwenfro area of Caia Park and the replacement and update of culvert at Maes Meredydd, Pontfadog.

On Darland Lane and Gamford Lane, Rossett works will take place on water drainage, pipe and outfall required and an upgrade of trash screen arrangements in Hampden Way.

Storm Christoph caused significant damage and flooding across parts of the county borough in January after the area was hit by several days of torrential downpours.

River levels on the Dee were the highest on record and came within inches of breaching flood defences at Bangor on Dee village and in numerous locations on both the Dee and other rivers; banks were breached and over topped.

Rainfall levels and water run-off from adjoining land was of such significance that even where formal drainage systems exist, these were quickly overwhelmed.

Ceiriog Valley Councillor, Trevor Bates, said: “I am delighted to hear that Welsh Government has agreed to fund the improvements to the Culvert in Pontfadog, one of only four schemes approved within the Wrexham County Borough.

“Residents at Maes Meredydd and Afon Wen have not been able to sleep soundly since 20th January for fear of waking up with water running through there back doors again.

“I hope the work can be done quickly and before the next downpour of rain”.

Rossett Councillor, Cllr Hugh Jones, said: “I welcome the news as I’ve been working for over eight years for a solution to this problem that has blighted the lives of residents in Darland and Gamford Lane. I look forward to seeing the works start in the summer.

Cllr David A Bithell, Lead Member for Environment and Transport, welcomed the funding and said: “I would like to thank the Welsh Government for recognising the importance of the bids made by awarding 100% funding for four major schemes in Wrexham.

“This will allow us to remedy some of the long standing issues that are ongoing in the county borough.

“We will continue to work with Welsh Government and Natural Resources Wales to respond to flooding issues across the county to address the problems often made worse due to climate change.”

There’s also a number of projects across the county borough, including at the site of a landslide on the B5605 at Newbridge.

Last week Wrexham.com reported that Cllr Bithell had described the rejection of a bid for money to fix damage as “disappointing given the level of commitment that I personally received from both Lesley Griffiths and the Welsh Government”.

Cllr Bithell said he has written to Welsh Government, and he expressed his “disappointment” that support for funding for the landslide on the B5605 between Newbridge and Cefn “will not be available”. He pointed to “discussions at the time of the floods when they visited some of the worst hit locations through the region” and he urged the Minister to reconsider the matter.

Cllr Bithell said: “It is disappointing that we didn’t get our initial response That said, all our other schemes that we’ve submitted, £1.5 million worth of flooding alleviation schemes across the county, we’ve had good indication that we’re likely to see some good news on them.

“But – we haven’t received any official letter from Welsh Government in respect of them schemes. We’re hopeful that we will very, very shortly.

“I think the difference with the general flood schemes and this scheme is with it being a highway network embankment it’s a bit more complicated to submit for bids rather than a general flooding issue.”

The council have told us the letters addressed to Lesley Griffith’s ministerial office have been sent to Julie James who now has responsibility under her portfolio, climate change.



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com

More...

Storm Arwen hits Wrexham area with 60mph winds

News

14 mile diversion announced as A5 & A483 viaducts to close due to high winds

News

Local businesses asked for feedback as community bank plans progress

News

Warning over fake £50 notes in Wrexham area

News

Wrexham Maelor Hospital opens new ward to help prepare patients to go home

News

Advice issued by Trading Standards on how to shop safely this Black Friday

News