Posted: Mon 21st Feb 2022

Updated: Mon 21st Feb

Progress on Newbridge as “business case submitted for repair” to Welsh Government

Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Monday, Feb 21st, 2022

Progress is being made in the long awaited plan to bring the B5605 back in to use.

As readers are well aware, a section of the B5605 road between Newbridge and Cefn Mawr was severely damaged during Storm Christoph in January last year, when torrential downpours caused part of it to collapse down an embankment. Further cracks appeared in the road, with residents currently forced to take lengthy diversions to get to work or school.

Wrexham Council had previously applied for funding from the Welsh Government to fix the damage to the area and secure the footpath and road, however the request was knocked back as it did not meet the relevant criteria. A geotechnical report was awaited by Wrexham Council who say once that had been assessed they would ‘request adequate funding from Welsh Government’.

Over the recent bad weather, and as we write this, the lack of a diversion route with the A5/A483 bridge closures with the high wind has meant long queues in Overton and Llangollen.

Wrexham.com asked Wrexham Council for an update on the issue, and if the long awaited geotechnical report had come back to the council, we asked if it had was there any detail and if the report would be made public.

Wrexham Council told Wrexham.com, “We’re pleased to confirm that a business case for repairs to the B5605 Newbridge Road has now been submitted to Welsh Government.

“This follows complex geo-technical surveys and careful analysis of the costs going forward to ensure this critical road link is brought back into use.”

Cllr David A Bithell, Lead Member for Environment and Transport, said, “I am very pleased that this work is complete and urge Welsh Government to look favourably on the business case.

“The communities affected have already had a wait of over twelve months causing lengthy and inconvenient journeys. It’s a vital piece of infrastructure in this area and is also the diversion route for works on the A483 trunk road. When closures are in place on this road traffic has to be diverted via Llangollen – a fifteen mile diversion.

“The local MS and MP are keen to see the repairs funded and completed as soon as possible and I thank them for their support.”



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com

More...

Thousands attend “march for Welsh independence” in Wrexham town centre

News

Public urged to remain vigilant after increase in reports of cold calling and thefts from vehicles

News

Major new EV charging site open for business at the Rhug Estate in Corwen

News

“Swarm welcome” for new team of busy bees at Moneypenny

News

Have you done yours? 323,700 tax credits customers have one month left to renew

News

Clwyd South MS quizzed by Chirk school pupils

News