Posted: Fri 11th Jun 2021

Ken Skates MS asks Welsh Government to “look at this again” as Ministers are accused of ‘turning blind eye’ to Newbridge landslip damage

Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area
This article is old - Published: Friday, Jun 11th, 2021

Wrexham Council say repairing the damage caused by Storm Christoph earlier this year “remains a priority” and a visit by leading politicians to Newbridge showed how “the effect on the local road network and local communities was clear”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Storm Christoph saw torrential downpours resulting in a landslide in Newbridge, which caused a section of footpath to collapse down an embankment, with a key route remaining closed pending works to fix the damage. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

As we have recently documented Wrexham Council have been disappointed by the response from Welsh Government to a funding request to help fix the landslip, and currently no agreement has been reached. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Clwyd South MP Simon Baynes has also criticised the Welsh Government and called on Ministers to “step up and provide the support and funding necessary to repair damaged infrastructure”, adding “In the event of closures on the trunk road, whether for planned works or emergencies, alternative routes are diverted via Llangollen – a fifteen mile diversion – and this is clearly not sustainable. Particularly when emergency vehicles are taken into account, this is unacceptable.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“I’m calling on Welsh Government Ministers to step up and take action on an issue that is seriously affecting residents in our part of Wales. I’m concerned that Ministers in Cardiff Bay are turning a blind eye to the damage to our communities in Clwyd South caused by flooding. I’m willing to work with Welsh Government to ensure Wrexham Council receives the funding support they need to repair our damaged infrastructure.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Today Wrexham Council’s Lead Member for the Environment and Transport, Cllr David A Bithell, said he welcomed the opportunity to meet with MS Ken Skates on the matter, “I hope that these talks and discussions will be fruitful in ensuring that this road re-opens as soon as possible. This is causing major difficulties for local people and we need substantial funding to address the effects from storm Christoph.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Ken Skates Clwyd South MS said: “The damage caused by the extreme weather last year wreaked havoc in communities across Wales. This is a particularly bad example, and I know it has caused a lot of problems locally.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“I have raised the matter with the Minister for Climate Change, Julie James, and asked the Welsh Government to look at this again. I know the Welsh Government has been in discussions with the council about other funding which might be available, so I look forward to receiving the Minister’s response outlining how both parties can work together to remedy the situation.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Previously we have reported how early estimates place the price tag of any works in the low millions of pounds. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com



More...

Wrexham’s volunteers celebrated with ‘The Tree of Trees’ planting

News

Wrexham entrepreneurs and personal trainers open their first fitness centre

News

Residents urged to back ‘Not Up My Street’ fly-tipping campaign

News

HMRC encouraging families to boost their childcare budget this half term

News

Aldi announces its biggest ever apprenticeship drive

News

“Inspirational” Wrexham Glyndwr leader named in Welsh Changemaker 100 list

News