Y8’s March For Living Wage

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Y8’s March For Living Wage

• Author

Rob
    Participant

Further to the story on Students March To Wrexham Council Asking For Living Wage | Wrexham.com there has been some comments from those involved on the Wrexham.com Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668832979838121&set=a.388546797866742.90367.223136377741119&type=1

IMAG1044.jpg

Its an interesting topic – is it politicising kids, or a fair protest and good to see kids being made aware of issues in society ?

Alunh
    Participant

@Rob 13946 wrote:

Further to the story on Students March To Wrexham Council Asking For Living Wage | Wrexham.com there has been some comments from those involved on the Wrexham.com Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668832979838121&set=a.388546797866742.90367.223136377741119&type=1

IMAG1044.jpg

Its an interesting topic – is it politicising kids, or a fair protest and good to see kids being made aware of issues in society ?

You pose a difficult question here Rob. One part of me likes to see youngsters
    engage with political issues, another part feels very uncomfortable with the outcome. Effectively, the students involved have marched with a rallying cry that is drawn from one political direction. I would have preferred to see a debate between students about the rights and wrongs of the living wage with lots of viewpoints on show rather than this.

DerekJackson
    Participant

This is a real issue about the use of children for fronting political campaigns– in this case it is more about young people who in a few years time will be i the work force and may themselves end up on a low wage. The person in TCC responsible for this commenced research in January with a Freedom of Information in January when the Council identified 1668 of their workers were below the living wage of£7.65
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/the_living_wage_13#incoming-466648

What I do feel is such a pity that the school had not taken the opportunity of allowing the young people to research and debate an issue that affects their age group- leisure, play, youth clubs plus others would have been more relevant and not so political. The rights of young people in Wrexham under the United Nations Charter for Children and Young People is being almost totally ignored with the way the Council are cutting services that affect this age group.
    Power to Young People but choose your battles wisely and focus on issues directly affecting you..

wxm
    Participant

Various threads have debated education and the economy. Indeed, the need to dramatically increase the earnings per person, to higher levels more appropriate to other areas of the UK, have been the subject of a clear rationale.

Young people need a strong education from 7 to 16, need to be supported through the right development into their early twenties (whether they choose work, college or university); and while they are doing this, parents and grandparents, through community leadership, should be preparing the thriving economic community for people to have strong earnings and a good life.

justjojo2011
    Participant

One thing I never thought of until I saw it posted on the Facebook status is that this is making kids push someone elses political agenda. A pupil from the school even commented to say they were made to make banners in the morning and then made to picket round town.

I don’t send my son to school for someone elses political agenda to be forced onto him by his teachers. I send him for them to educate him.

Maybe they should be picketing for equal wages for everyone, not just the public sector workers.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News