Wrexham town centre "Black-out" walk

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham town centre "Black-out" walk

• Author

jok
    Participant

I have just read an article in the “Leader” highlighting the problems faced by blind and partially sighted people. I was astounded by the remarks of the town’s AM Lesley Griffiths, who joined the walk around Wrexham bus station which was organised by Guide Dogs Cymru in partnership with Vision Support. According to the “Leader”, Ms Griffiths said “I went to the bus station where the information office was closed so there was no means of getting information, just a clock that was inappropriately placed, right up high.”

The information office within the bus station has been closed for more than a year now. I would have thought that someone in her position would have known this. She then goes on to criticize the street furniture, calling them obstacles, i.e. big planters in the middle of pavements, seats, displays and advertising boards that shops had put out. The article states that: It was felt that in Wrexham, opportunities were missed to consult blind and partially sighted people prior to development.

My question is, why is it that someone in her position or someone representing her was not present at any of the meetings about the regeneration of King Street that were held in the Guildhall on a regular basis, when local business owners and interested persons such as myself attended all the meetings? If Ms Griffiths or someone from one of the blind or partially sighted organisations had attended these meetings then the problems faced by blind or partially sighted persons could have been avoided.

Just to qualify my position, I am totally in agreement with the criticism levelled at the ill thought out placing of the planters, seats and other obstacles on King Street but I can’t believe that the Wrexham AM didn’t find the time to have an input before the work commenced.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Remarkable thing is 20/20 hindsight vision!
    By your own admission, you attended the Guildhall meetings and you failed to raise the topic that you apparently now have heartfelt feelings about.
    Come on Jok, come clean. Consideration for the blind and partially sighted never entered your head until the article appeared in the Leader and yet you criticise Lesley Griffiths and others for not being aware of, or raising the issue.
    I know that King St is your stomping ground for which you apparently have a particular affinity but the problem (if you can call it that) exists on every street throughout the country. Lamp posts, street signs refuse bins to name but a few of potential obstacles. Is it the suggestion that these should be removed or prohibited also?

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

JOK if you remember the meetings in the Guildhall were a farce — no matter what you and the rest of us raised we were told no — Improved crossing between the bus station and the CoOp — NO; move your own taxi rank to by the Fat Cat — NO– change bus unloading area — NO
    The buses backed up waiting to unload causing blocked roads is now as bad as ever
    Design failure from start to finish and nothing really to show as an improvement for the £1.25 million project.
    As it was supposed to regenerate the area what bes businesses have come apart from the one buying clothes etc next to the Credit Union.
    Were are the new joi
    bs that were supposed to be created — cant see any evidence any were created
    It is strange that after Lesley did her walk about the weed planters (the weeds have been high for weeks) mysteriously got cleared.

jok
    Participant

Benjamin M, if you had attended the meetings as did “Peter the watcher” you would be in a better position to criticise or praise me on this subject. The safety of pedestrians whether they be blind, partially sighted or not as the case may be, has always been high on my list of priorities. During the meetings I strongly urged the decision makers to place guiding fencing at the pinch points, so as to enable all pedestrians to cross uniformly at these points, challenged the ill placed tactile crossings, which are supposed to highlight safe crossing points for blind/partially sighted people. I was instrumental in getting a very high, dangerously sloping tactile crossing on the corner of Lord Street and Duke Street altered and regularly assist disabled people wishing to cross King Street as well as asking inconsiderate bus drivers who insist on parking across the dropped kerb closest to the now, well established, thanks to Ms Griffiths, closed Information Office, so that disabled wheelchair users are able to cross the street. If King Street is, as you put it, my stomping ground, then I am determined to do what I can to preserve it.

I hope Peter the Watcher would agree with me by me saying that the Bus Station would fine if it wasn’t for the buses.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Whilst I have every sympathy for people who are visually impaired to a degree where safety becomes an issue, I am likewise sympathetic to people who have ambulatory and other challenges that affect their daily lives.
    You have singularly failed to address the question I posed in my closing paragraph – should other street furniture be removed or prohibited as well?
    You have categorically confirmed your position regarding King St. but by implication, surely the same argument holds good for the remainder of the town.
    Are you willing to sacrifice benches for those that have need of them or dispense with refuse bins, that ostensibly pose the same hazard as those you have highlighted on King St.?
    What is good for one area holds good for all areas. Or by some strange quirk, is King St. a special case?

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

I think the point is trying to raise is that no one listened at the meetings–
    I take Benjamin’s point and it is not about removing all street furniture but having items that are friendly to ALL users of an area.. there are plenty that would be suitable for all.
    If you look at the King Street area the ‘wave’ benches are not suitable for anyone — if you need a rest you have no back rest, no arms on the end to help you get up totally useless — the only ‘good’ thing is that they are nit even suitable for a homeless person to sleep!
    The big tree planters taper to the floor — this means if you are using a white cane you feel the bottom and think you can go straight in only to find that you walk into the big basin bit as they are so large– easily solved with a but of thought by the designer.
    At no time was an Equality Impact Assessment undertaken.
    We should all be able to live in harmony with each other irrespective of whether we are ‘able’ bodied today we may end if with a physical impairment any time in our lives or just plain old age sets in. Lets get it right for us now and not have to fight for thins to be right when we are less able..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News