Wrexham Prison job opportunities

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Prison job opportunities

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

We have hear again today of the 1000 plus jobs going to be created with many going to local residents-
    Is this really the case- many of the jobs internally such as domestic cleaning and catering are undertaken by prisoners– look at Cardiff Prison they run a full restaurant for the public as well called Clinks.
    As the prison service will be closing other units within an hours drive time if Wexhan the ‘professional prison officers’ are likely to transfer.
    Also not sure where the figures for spending in the local economy seem to be very high — under Government procurement regulations they have to have value for money contracts from suppliers — many will be national contracts for supplies.
    One of the boosts to the area will be anyone that runs a taxi or minibus service from the train station. It cannot possibly conceived that prison visitors will do anything other than straight off a train to prison and back again.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

I went to college in Winchester where there is a category A prison close to the centre of the city. I say city, Winchester is smaller than Wrexham but was city by virtue of the Anglican Catherdral. All the prison did was create employment. In the case of HMP Wrexham, in the first instance there have been agreements that a proportion of those building the prison will be from the locality. Then once the prison is built there will be a range of jobs from prison guards to back office roles necessary for any large organisation. I can assure Jane that the accounts payable and receivable will not be undertaken by the prisoners.
    Prisons are both punitive and rehabilitative. There will be posts for education and vocational skills.
    Winchester as anyone who knows the area is an extremely expensive place to live, houses close to the prison are some the most expensive. The Likelyhood of anyone escaping is very slim, and if they did they would be running off not hanging around trying to bring down the property prices. I would not be surprised if property prices go up, I know I would rather live opposite a clean prison site, than a tire factory with all the smells and emissions that entails.
    I know many people find change difficult, but from my personal experience of living in a smaller urban area with a prison which houses some of the most dangerous prisoners, HMP Wrexham will bring nothing but much needed prosperity to the area. Something it should be remembered that our illustrious MP Ian Lucus was against.

Rex Ham
    Participant

On balance, I can only agree with Mrs Crewe. The jobs and opportunities the prison will provide may not be the sort of jobs we are used to in Wrexham, such as manufacturing, but jobs they are still the same. There are plenty of people and firms in Wrexham who can fulfil those needs even measures against the “value for money” criteria JaneJ mentions. Even if, the only people to prosper were the taxi drivers at the railway station, it means more people are using the railway, thus safeguarding services for the rest of us.

Rex Ham
    Participant

I should also add, that even if in the unlikely event ALL the jobs go to people outside Wrexham, Those moving into the town will need somewhere to live, thus bolstering property prices, which are at the moment, low.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Fair appraisal by Mrs Crewe, especially regarding the back office jobs. Lucas! Please god we can ditch him at the next election.

Born Acorn
    Participant

This prison is designed to hold over 2000 inmates. For comparison, Shrewsbury held 305.

It’s going to take a lot more than people already in the prison industry to fill jobs at Wrexham.

wid9999
    Participant

Well said Mrs Crewe!
    And the same goes for Power Stations, Waste Handling and Fracking sites which could also bring jobs and economy to the town imho.

EternalOptimist
    Participant

On the whole, I agree with some of the posts above, in that the prison, both during construction and once operational will produce some economic benefits. Indeed, it’s on an industrial estate, on the site of a former factory, and there is nothing to lose from having the prison there.

However (slightly off topic so I apologise in advance, but I’ll say it anyway), I take issue with describing ‘bolstered house prices’ as an economic benefit. I would love someone to list exactly what ‘economic benefits’ high/increased house prices bring. I’ll give you a clue. None.

– Increases in food prices = Bad
    – Increase in water prices = Bad
    – Increase in fuel = Bad
    – Increase in just about anything = Bad
    – Increase in housing (a basic human need along with water and food) = Good?? Hmm

High house prices may have given baby boomers massive amounts of paper profit, and unearned wealth, and an economic feel good factor (no co-incidence that politicians pump up house prices before elections), but the damage to the economy caused by high housing costs are untold. High house prices ultimately lead to demand for higher wages, which ends up inflating the costs of almost everything one way or another, and then due to the high cost of living, we wonder why we have lost 95% of our production jobs to cheaper overseas locations.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Whilst there is merit in your point, it fails to take into account the situation in which many
    people find themselves in today, negative equity. The inability to sell ones house and be able to pay off the mortgage can lead to desperation for many.
    Yes I agree that house prices have been ridiculously inflated especially in the South of England (one of the main factors in deciding to come back north for me). But I do feel for those who bought and are now trapped. They may lose job opportunities as they can’t move, or if sadly in a relationship break up unable to go separate ways prolonging the heartache.
    A steady raise in house prices would alienate the misery of many and make the housing market a market again and not the reserve of the capital investor alone.

Alunh
    Participant

High house prices in Wrexham would be a welcome sign that things were on the move. Low house prices exist in, say, Merthyr because there is little economic activity. Conversely, where there are pressures on house prices brought about by lots of jobs in an area, demand will increase. As Mrs Crewe has argued, it is not all rosy, but the fact of positive capital stock in a town is better than none, especially to beat back the scourge of negative equity.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News