Wrexham Libraries to be run by South Wales Trust.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Libraries to be run by South Wales Trust.

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

The off loading of any non statutory services is now well on it’s way – don’t expect anything from the Council that’s big enough to stand alone (Quote Clr Mark Pritchard Leader of Council). There will be so little left that all Councilors can be sacked with the exception of no more than half a dozen because they will have so little left to manage.
    They don’t need Leighton Andrews to create streamlined Council in Wrexham there wont be anything to stream line.
    Has anyone heard of the same level of slashing services in Flintshire and Denbighshire- if they are it is not getting the level of press coverage that Wrexham is.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Gratified to see the general tenor of the comments are with the sense of having a Wrexham or N E Wales library trust. Although it was stated this will be looked at and costed we have to keep the pressure on.
    Thanks for the offer JaneJ but the strength of Greford Library -GDCL -is it’s local support, volunteer network and VITALLY the sense of ownership. Are you more likely to get involved, fundraise and lobby for a Wrexham concern or a SW Trust?As I said at the board I do not believe this can not be replicated in Overton, Chirk, Ruabon etc.
    I appreciate Wrexham Library is a bigger option,but then so is Splash.
    I also appreciate that whilst volunteers have a great role to play there are employment concerns that we in Gresford did not have but these are not insurmountable so let us keep the pressure on.
    One last thing is that whilst the SW Trust idea got the majority vote on the board quite a number of councillors have expressed differing views to me, across all groups- have a chat with your local councillor.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Is Gresford being paid a management fee from the grant that the Council get for running a library service or are they making you generate your own funds to keep it open..

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Hi Dylan, The building remains the property of Wrexham Council and we are tweaking a Tenancy at Will. The stock of books ,dvd’s etc remain Wrexham’s stock and we have a current Service Level Agreement (SLA) that would have to be renegotiated with which ever body takes on the libraries.
    What is a management fee? We have had great support from Gresford Community Counci, but not yet Rossett but otherwise we fundraise for our funds and have a “Friends of GDCL” scheme . Pop in and see us or have a look at the Gresford and District Community Library Facebook or website.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Libraries are a statutory requirement (although the level of coverage is debatable) therefore the Council are getting funding from Welsh Government to provide the service Surely you should therefore have a slice of this funding as hat is the way the proposal to move to the South Wales Trust is on the basis of Wrexham giving them a management fee. It looks like you are being held over a barrel with your agreement — what happens if the new Trust does not want Gresford.
    A Tenancy at Will means the Council can take the building back at a very short notice– remember the best deal for the Council will be to have the site back and sell it off. I admire what you and others have dine in Gresford but cant hep having a cynical view- interesting that you have not had any funding from Rossett Community Council — are they privy to information that the Gresford Library Trust may be time limited.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News