Wrexham.com Q&A – Put Your Questions to Town Centre Inspector

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham.com Q&A – Put Your Questions to Town Centre Inspector

• Author

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127873]When the police come across a drug user , what is your procedure for dealing with them ? Arrest? Hospital? Contact suitable service helpers , Elms etc? Move them on only?

[/quote]

IW: If they are actually in possession of the substance, as the offence of possession of the drug is complete. That act empowers the police to take people into custody, although in recent years options have become available to deal with the offence via street cautions for low level drug use. As far as procedure is concerned, the person would be arrested, taken into custody , section 18 of the police and criminal evidence act 1984 then gives police the power to search that persons dwelling, section 32 of the same act gives us the power to search the last premises they were in prior to arrest.

Having said all of that there is a movement to ensure the welfare of people rather than criminalising them. So if none of the above apply, we do refer people to the third sector for assistance with their possible addictions.

If we find someone collapsed and require treatment that is obviously the first thing we address.

D R
    Keymaster

Another one for Inspector Wycherley – this question is from an anonymous reader!

Can he get the phone boxes between Hays Travel and RBS removed? I have to sit and watch drug deals going down everyday in them and I’m sick of ringing the police. I’ve never seen so many people in a single phone box.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127880]Question through specifically for Inspector Wycherley –

Regarding the bus station have the police ever issued any security advice to improve the area to the council?

And After Operation Glare tram are you satisfied with the councils measures to keep the bus station drug and antisocial free?

[/quote]

IW: Yes. Over a year ago we assessed the bus station complex and completed and submitted a crime prevention survey suggesting a number of amendments. This was revisited three months ago and updated and I know Executive Director Lee Robinson attended the public meeting in Rhosddu and gave an undertaking that would be reviewed. I have spoken to him this week and has assured me that he is addressing it.

You say ‘after’ Operation Glaretram, it is ongoing. I am aware of the issues that have been reported this week, I know we have increased council security officers there, and my officers are there when they can be. I wish the changes the changes to the structure of the building had been introduced more swiftly, but I understand everything comes at a cost.

HJ: The Council have already increased significantly the security presence at the bus station. At the end of March we will be going out to tender for a redesign scheme, following the advice from North Wales Police.

D R
    Keymaster

Next question is from Matthew and is about homelessness in Wrexham:

Over the last 2 years the number of homeless has risen! They are begging persistently surely they should be barred from sleeping in the town centre we need more homeless centres?

Is is this begging and congregating in large numbers in shop doorways not North Wales Police problem?

wxmlad
    Participant

Why have the police & Wrexham council allowed undesirables & beggars to roam around Wrexham at will?
    This has been going on for years & now we are seeing the results. Wrexham is a no go area for decent people & is the reason why there are so many empty shops.
    The council have a cheek asking shop keepers to pay rates
    You should both hold your head in shame

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127883]Question from our friends over at Deeside.com –

Noticed Wrexham getting tremendously damaging headlines across most national tabloids and TV how can it’s reputation be repaired?
    [/quote]

HJ: I am meeting with the Chair of Wrexham Town Centre Forum on Friday to discuss how we can work together to further promote Wrexham Town Centre and counter the unfair image that has been given of the town centre in Wrexham across the national media.

A lot of the material used portrays a situation in the past which is currently being addressed. I am calling on all political leaders irrespective of party to work together to restore the reputation of Wrexham.

D R
    Keymaster

Not town centre specifically, but a wider question through about policing in the villages across Wrexham:

The main issue is not the town centre. It’s burglary armed theft and arson. Why isn’t there a greater Police presence in the villages and towns estates?

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127886]Question / statement in about PCSOs…

There may be a call in the Town Centre for PCSOs during daylight hours. However, PCSOs walking around local villages in two’s in daylight hours, to my mind does not threaten the burglary brigade.

To me a far better use could be made of PCSO by them working nights instead of days.

I do not know the stats but I presume more break ins etc take place under cover of darkness.
    Your thoughts?

[/quote]

IW: The prime role of a PCSO is to provide community reassurance via high visibility patrols, and significant amounts of community engagement. In Wrexham Town Centres we recently lost 7 PCSOs who joined the police service as constables, and those 7 have been replaced. As part of their training they ‘double up’ with an experienced PCSO until they are effectiveness and knowledge is assessed to be at a level to patrol on their own.

In ordinary day to day business in their communities I would expect PCSO’s to be on lone foot patrol duty, although in some instances they attend they complete a dynamic risk assessment, and if they feel that two PCSOs are required, on those occasions they double up.

I would point out that 18 months ago I used PCSOs in the town centre night time economy until 3am and I was criticised on one of these threads and was told they should be in peoples communities when they are awake, so they can engage when people are awake.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=127890]Question for Councillor Hugh Jones … what are the Council going to do to promote the town of Wrexham , in light of the negative , out of date publicity in the national and local press over the last couple of days? My suggestion …. a concerted effort to deep clean the town Centre , eradicate the bubble gum on the pavements, make use of our spring flowers and trees coming into leaf , by the Council having spring free parking week advertising “Wrexham is open for business ” . We need an immediate initiative ! The businesses in the town deserve this !

[/quote]

HJ: Council operatives carry out a through clean of the town centre every day and do an excellent job. In addition to that our environment department plant spring flowers across the whole town centre area , and in additional our recent policy on tackling litter in the town centre has resulted in a significant improvement in the appearance of the town centre .

Chris
    Participant

1, More and more often we are being made aware that calls to 101 are not being answered. What number should we use in this instance?

2, Since the Traffic Polic3 moved to Deeside, the chance of seeing a traffic officer in Wrexham is virtually 0. (Aside from the mobile phone usage push) Do you believe this is the reason that driver standards have fallen so badly in Wrexham?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News