Wrexham.com candidates Q & A videos

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham.com candidates Q & A videos

• Author

Pinky02
    Participant

So, we have now heard all of the candidates views on local issues and what their vision is for the future of Wrexham. Just interested to know people’s reaction and whether this has made a difference to the way they vote?

Metalhead
    Participant

I did watch the candidate videos (cheers Wrexham.com) and although I found them interesting I still have no idea who the hell to vote for?!! They did however help be add to my list of people I will not be voting for. I was hoping to get to the Wrexham Leaders Debate thing but doesn’t look like that’s going to be possible, does anyone know if this will uploaded to YT or the like?

wrexview
    Participant

I thought the questions were well selected. The idea of a 35hour week and Fridays off seemed very tempting but I fear the Green Party are not going to get a majority! The Independents need to be applauded for standing as they don’t have party funding or organisations behind them. Ian Lucas showed himself to be a seasoned campaigner by wearing his red rosette, no mistaking which party he represents! Apparently Wrexham has voted the same way for the last eighty years , will this election be the one to see a change? We the electors hold the power , so we must use our vote !

moggsie
    Participant

Well said

Katia
    Participant

Having watched each candidate…

Brian Edwards – Independent
    YouTube Views #172
    Mr Edwards came across as a likeable character.
    Positive approach to town centre business, against mobile phone driving, against cycling and skate boarding in Lord Street, in favour of rapid deportation of failed asylum seekers and reducing illegal immigration, all good.
    Not quite sure about stopping foreign aid { except for floods, famines and presumably earthquakes } to fund NHS/GPs/Education/Schools etc but hey-ho.
    Agree with his comment that anti-fracking is somewhat NIMBY.
    However I am against fracking locally in Wrexham so I will not be voting for Brian this time.

David Munnerley – Green Party
    YouTube Views #260
    I’m hoping Mr Munnerley is an excellent gardener.
    I didn’t feel he displayed the commitment or passion or grasp of his party manifesto to become our local MP.
    I like that Mr Munnerley is strongly anti-fracking. I also like the idea of every Friday as a day off but I don’t know how this would be funded, but that is in keeping with the whole Green Party manifesto, for which they need a magic money tree.
    I won’t be voting for David.

Carrie Harper – Plaid Cymru
    YouTube Views #547
    I really liked the way Carrie presented herself, her concern for vulnerable people was believable and she gave the impression she would fight well for Wrexham. She made several points I liked, regarding the town centre, food banks, bedroom tax and she is anti-fracking locally – all good.
    Sadly, Plaid Cymru, like the Greens also need a magic money tree to implement their manifesto. I also disagree with scrapping Trident.
    If Carrie Harper were to stand as an Independent I may well vote for her.

Rob Walsh – Welsh Liberal Democrats
    YouTube Views #380
    I found Mr Walsh a little patronising with his guidance {Don’t worry too much about party politics, about what happens in London, vote for you local choice} and his tendency to say mmkay like Mr Mackey from South Park, but in fairness college lecturers often talk down without meaning to, same with his views on climate change. I’ll make up my own mind thanks.
    That said, I can understand why it makes sense to appeal for people to choose locally, given that in theory Nick Clegg is so unpopular, especially because of tuition fees, perhaps unfairly.
    I like most of what Mr Walsh said, particularly regarding fracking.
    I am considering voting for Rob.

Niall Plevin-Kelly – UKIP
    YouTube Views #343
    Couldn’t find fault with anything said really.
    Like the comments about town centre, rebalancing the North vs South, ” change pounds for South Wales, pennies for North Wales etc “, against mobile phone driving. Wants to immediately cease foreign aid as per manifesto, reduce unnecessary management and wastage in NHS…
    Made fair points about fracking but ultimately seems in favour for the future if not now.
    I am considering voting for Niall this time.

Ian Lucas – Welsh Labour Party
    YouTube Views #294
    Thoroughly professional presentation as expected.
    Mr Lucas is respected for his work regarding our town centre and he is a likeable character.
    He says all the right things and is a safe pair of hands on local issues.
    However after such a long period of Labour representation for Wrexham I fancy something different.
    I also can’t bring myself to vote for a national party that leaves a note for the incoming chancellor apologising they have spent all the money and nothing is left. I don’t trust Labour on the economy.
    I may well vote for Mr Lucas in future if independent.
    I won’t be voting for Ian this time.

Andrew Atkinson – Welsh Conservative Party
    YouTube Views #390
    I liked Mr Atkinson’s passion and drive, he presented himself very well.
    I like what he said about town centre business, resolving parking disincentives etc.
    I liked he will support a moratorium on fracking until 2021.
    I feel a little guarded about voting Conservative as I don’t believe them on the economy.
    Things are not as good as they make out, what with food banks, zero hour contracts, helptobuy bribing people that can’t afford it to buy houses, and cuts to public services that hurt the poorest in society most – but with no money all parties have to make cuts.
    I am considering voting for Andrew to give somebody different a chance – change is good.

I found it interesting watching the candidates that the Greens never mentioned climate change, UKIP didn’t mention immigration, and Plaid Cymru didn’t speak about independence for Wales !

Thanks to Wrexham.com and everybody that took part.

* By the way, the YouTube auto-generated English subtitles are at points hilarious.

Metalhead
    Participant

[quote quote=93551]
    Niall Plevin-Kelly – UKIP
    YouTube Views #343
    Couldn’t find fault with anything said really.[/quote]

Other than he appeared to think Boris Yeltsin was still the president of Russia!

Ferret
    Participant

Neither Mr Edwards nor Mr Plevin-Kelly seem to understand how business rates work. Just to clarify chaps, the council doesn’t set them or keep them it just collects them. Having said that it IS an outdated tax. If I had one PM Bill I’d put forward a motion to abolish them (rather than focus on a personal hobby horse such as reintroducing the death penalty for using a phone while driving). On a related point I wonder if Mr P-K changed his behaviour vis-a-vis phoning whilst driving on the A483 -or on the road to Damascus.

Metalhead
    Participant
Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News