why

• Author

Chris
    Participant

Do people think its clever to run Wrexham down?
    Today I had to listen to Heart fm presenter taking the p out of the ToB description of the town. (Radio now tuned into Calon Fm), I have read some smart arsed comment on twitter about the bikes going so fast through Wrexham so they don’t get stolen and on here a sarky comment about the love locks only being there because the bikes have been stolen.

I just think that these people have never travelled or lived outside of Wrexham and don’t realise how good weve got it. Of course there’s the cheap laugh.
    Yes there’s nicer places to live but trust me theres an awful lot worse.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I think it’s a case of mocking what you love. My husband and I mock each other all the time but we don’t mean it. I know Wrexham has it’s faults but it’s no worse than anywhere else. It could be better but I am very happy to live here and have never wanted to live anywhere else.

Adam
    Participant

@Chris 9214 wrote:

Today I had to Wrexham to Heart fm presenter taking the p out of the ToB description of the town. (Radio now tuned into Calon Fm), I have read some smart arsed comment on twitter about the bikes going so fast through Wrexham so they don’t get stolen and on here a sarky comment about the love locks only being there because the bikes have been stolen.

I just think that these people have never travelled or lived outside of Wrexham and don’t realise how good weve got it. Of course there’s the cheap laugh.

Trust me, there’s an awful lot better.. And I have spent most of my life outside Wrexham..

Silly stereotypes aren’t very helpful I agree however even less helpful is the ‘Wrexham til I die’ mindset that takes any criticism as an attack on their ‘working’ class hero heritage…

Until recently I personally felt there was a subtle, but growing momentum of real change for the town. A rare mid week trip to the centre put pay to that.

-Markets as scruffy as ever despite the rhetoric…
    -A new ‘Hydroponics’ shop opened on Chester Street (that will pull in prospective tenants for the TJ Hughes site won’t it?)
    -Yet another Eastern European deli opening on Market Street.

According to the online planning docs, the latter apparently satisfies WBC’s Development Objectives..???

I’m starting to consider whether the convenience of living here for work and family is really enough..

Simon
    Participant

I’ve been a patient at the Maelor Hospital for a long time now. Since 1991.
    Tonight I had cause to go to A&E for a wound to be attended to.
    9:30pm and A&E was absolutely full to the brim. All the seats were taken. People were standing, waiting to be assessed by the nurse before being called to ‘minors’ etc.
    A lad sat next to me, with his father, had been there 3-hours, before he was called to ‘minors’.
    10-years ago the population had outgrown the Maelor Hospital. Patients coming from Bala & Barmouth even.
    Tonight, as I sat in A&E, every other person called over the tannoy must have been Eastern European. Really. But what really riled me was that most of the ‘Eastern Europeans’ were what I would describe as ‘down and out’. Drunk, scruffy, and in possession of carrier bags and holdalls packed with clothes, and the rest of their worldly possessions.
    Can someone really tell me that these people are migrant workers?
    The Maelor Hospital could barely cope before 2004 when the borders opened. How does it cope with those with a valid visa, and those who don’t?

Unvbelievable

Simon
    Participant

And another thing….

Sainsburys.
    The car wash people. Those who work on the tills tell me that the ‘car washers’ are mostly Albanians and they “disappear and move to-and-from different branches”. They’re not even in the E.U!
    They might give your car a great clean but, why are they here?

Sainsburys must know what’s going on?

If Albanians can float around the UK without being on the radar, who else is here?

Simon
    Participant

How many takeaways in Wrexham & the area have been raided for illegal immigrants recently?

Loads.

Relatives of Turkish takeaways seem to visit their relatives over here…and just seem to stay. One of my local takeaways has a lad from Kurdistan whos’e been here for 3-years. Is he going to go home?

Simon
    Participant

If that’s what A&E is like in Wrexham on a Wednesday night, I dread to think what it’s like at the weekend?
    As a trial, why not put a few immigration officers & a Eastern-European translator on duty for a couple of nights just to see what happens?
    The people I saw were unemployable by both their appearance & intoxication. They looked like they were sleeping rough.

zinger
    Participant

A lot of the problem is about how the town is promoted. I noticed yesterday that Oswestry proudly promote themselves as a Market Town on the signposts going into the town telling people which days are market days. Why can’t we do something like that?

dewi73
    Participant

@Chris 9214 wrote:

Today I had to listen to Heart fm presenter taking the p out of the ToB description of the town. (Radio now tuned into Calon Fm), I have read some smart arsed comment on twitter about the bikes going so fast through Wrexham so they don’t get stolen and on here a sarky comment about the love locks only being there because the bikes have been stolen.

I believe on a sliding scale that Wrexham must rank in the bottom half when it comes to places to live.
    I know its not too bad living in Wrexham but it could be a whole lot nicer.

dewi73
    Participant
Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News