When is an Independent Councilor not Independent?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum When is an Independent Councilor not Independent?

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

This question is often asked about our local Councilors who stand as being ‘Independent’ abut as soon as being elected then become part of a Group.

In the case of Wrexham Independents they have produced a manifesto with some declared candidates under the Group Leader Dave Bithell. Sonia Benbow Jones – candidate in Cefn has declared an insight – surely ALL candidates who declare themselves Independent should declare their ‘Party’ interest on their nomination forms – a failure to declare a Political Party/Group could be deemed to be a failing to complete the form accurately. Perhaps WCBC Election Office should investigate those who have not declared that they have alredy signed up to an agreement to be part of a Group!

Sonia Benbow Jones – response to Wrexham.com — This is a good question, when I was elected an experienced Councillor took me to one side and said if you want to achieve anything for your ward think about joining one of the groups, as working alone will be very challenging. I considered the different groups and joined Wrexham Independents, I will always be independent and hope to continue being part of the Wrexham Independent Group of Councillors. The important thing for me as a councillor is to be an active part of the democratic process and working together with the neighbouring wards and other councillors to get the best for our communities, it is why I am here. It’s all about getting things done and rebuilding both and our own Communities and the Borough after the last two years of Covid.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I have been saying the same thing as Jane fo a long time now.

Anyone who declares themselves to be ‘Independent’ and then joins a group is deceiving the electorate and in my view, morally reprehensible and unworthy of serving in public office.

JaneJ
    Participant

Another Independent who is not Independent!! — “I will be with the Wrexham Independent Group, to voice my own opinion and the voice of my ward, as not to be aligned to a political party”
    Amanada Bradley – Cefn https://www.wrexham.com/election2022/candidate.php?candidate=10

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News