WCBC Wasting Money

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC Wasting Money

• Author

Chris
    Participant

How much is it costing to re roof WCBC housing stock and REINSTALL solar panels.

After the council spent all that money last year installing solar panels they are now going round reroofing them.

A a private home owner I investigated the benefits on installing these panels and one the cost criteria was the condition of the roof, because of course if your roof was not sound it would be pointless to go ahead with the install without doing the repair first. I guess if it not your own money its not so important.

lazyjack
    Participant

That’s what annoys me when people come on here and defend WCBC. How can you defend such a ridiculous waste of money.

If they cut out all the stupid wasting of money then the budget cut would take care of itself. WCBC can’t afford £13k to upgrade the parking meters to encourage town centre trade but can somehow find the money to re-roof houses that have had solar panels installed. It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t WCBC……

zinger
    Participant

I do have to wonder how much money is saved when the scaffolding has to be erected twice. The solar panels fitted, removed & then refitted. Will the solar panels be up long enough for them to cover the costs of buying & then installing twice? I understand that neither the scaffolding or roofing companies are local to the area either.

wrexview
    Participant

Are we talking about just one or two houses here or is it substantially more? Surely no Council would install solar panels on a home that was due for re roofing!

zinger
    Participant

We are talking streets. Houses that are 65 years old. I believe that it because there was a grant or subsidy. The solar panels had to be fitted by a certain date to qualify.

wrexview
    Participant

The Council borrowed money to fund the installation of the solar panels , so they were in total control of the project. It’s not even as if two different departments are involved. I wonder how much money could have been saved by just a little forward planning, enough to keep Plas Madoc and Waterworld open ?

michellecook
    Participant

They did the same with a number of houses where they had scaffolding up to insulate and render the houses then a number of months later the scaffolding went back up to replace the roofs. Surely, the two jobs could have been combined.

When we had our solar panels put up, it took them 6 months to come and flick the switch. Still doesn’t seem to make any difference to amount of electricity we are using.

Wrexham PC Repairs
    Participant

The new roofs and solar panels will eventually pay for themselves over time and then make a profit for WCBC.

wrexview
    Participant

It was reported that the Council borrowed £60 million to cover the cost of the solar panels and their installation on the basis that they would generate £1 million income per year for 25 years!

zinger
    Participant

@wrexview 11534 wrote:

It was reported that the Council borrowed £60 million to cover the cost of the solar panels and their installation on the basis that they would generate £1 million income per year for 25 years!

That doesn’t seem to me to be a very good return on £60m. Doesn’t that mean that they would be down £35m plus interest? Not being a mathematician, am I reading it wrong?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Campaign launched to reduce motorcycle-related deaths and serious injuries in north Wales

News

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News