Visitor boom causes problems at viaduct.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Visitor boom causes problems at viaduct.

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

In light of WCBC’s application for 2025 City of Culture, I was rather amused by the article that appeared on the news section of this site.

Perhaps I could paraphrase the recent discussion:

‘We welcome visitors to the aqueduct but not too many please as it’s upsetting the locals’

Or have I misinterpreted?

JP
    Participant

Just described Gwynedd.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Sorry, I got carried away. I meant to type aqueduct. My fault for rushing in my dinner hour!! 🤬🤬

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The main problem is that the aqueduct towpath was designed to allow a horse to pass in one direction pulling a canal boat. The towpath was not designed to enable crowds of people to pass in both directions at the same time in a totally unregulated way. It is simple to attract loads of visitors to a site but managing the consequences is not so easy as we are rapidly learning. None of this could not have been anticipated, but an obsession with performance indicators has clouded people’s vision. Building a larger car park is probably going to exacerbate the problem. The best ways to control numbers and regulate visits is to limit access by controlling vehicle numbers, moving car parks to further away from the main site or introducing charges. None of which will be popular in short term, but when crowding on the towpath leads to an accident on the aqueduct it will be too late.

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

Look at the swift(!) repairs made to the B5605 between Newbridge and Cefn Mawr and then the problem at the aqueduct and nothing will get done any time before 2025..

I am still waiting for feedback on the suggestion that they make the aqueduct into a barge themed log flume to get the youngsters in and a zip wire over it. Or at least build a bridge alongside it so people can walk across safely.

PS “City” of culture is a joke but don’t get me started. Wrexham V Cornwall, two fine cities

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Owain Glyndwr – best to lay off the Penderyn – fine Welsh whiskey though it is . Neither Wrexham or Cornwall are cities -and long may that continue!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News