Town centre forum

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Town centre forum

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

Perhaps you would care to explain why it was found necessary to edit the original storyline by removing a paragraph where it was suggested that children should be targeted. Would this suggest (apart from being a rather banal statement) that the  search for profit obeys no moral constraints, or that person who made the statement has exerted some sort of veto on its continued exposure?

R T
    Keymaster

Are you mixing up the two Town Centre Forum articles?

There is the parking one here and one about a clean up here.

The latter has the paragraph “Alun Hughes from Alun Hughes Film, Music and Nostalgia Wrexham said: “We can look at niche markets, perhaps targeting children.”

No editing has taken place on either after publishing, although a couple of typos could suggest some was needed :)

To me the idea came across to make the festivals / saturday markets as themed and targeted towards kids, in a positive way, rather than make Wrexham resemble Vulgaria ! :)

BenjaminM
    Participant

Yes Rob, you are quite right, I did mix the two articles up, for which I apologise. However, whilst I appreciate your interpretation of the attributed statement, it does little to make me alter my interpretation, after all, it is just that. Perhaps something was lost in the transcription of the spoken word into print.

One question that I would like to raise regarding the TCF is this:

Much was made some months ago, heralding the arrival of the first tour coach to Wrexham’s sunny climes, but since that time, I have neither seen nor heard any update as to whether the initiative was worthwhile  or was indeed, a one hit wonder. Perhaps some kind soul would be in a position to provide an update?

Alunh
    Participant

Hi All; just to provide some context to this “discussion” (which really seems to have scraped the barrel for a post). The Forum is a place where business people engage with Councillors and the wider community to discuss the development of the town and business within the town. At last week’s Forum meeting there was discussion across a range of interesting subjects including the recent Autism day and Wrexxposure. A discussion was then held about the possibility of adding more events to the Saturday roster on the grounds that they bring families back into our town. This has been shown on numerous occasions including the Stephanie Booth type of events, Fireman Sam and Peppa Pig. One suggestion made was to introduce the possibility of having a Saturday Market (like Mold and several other towns). An observation was made that Saturday was relatively busy anyway and that a Market would be better on its traditional days as it had been since the Middle Ages. My observation was that, if there were to be weekend Markets, they would not replicate the traditional Monday Markets but would have a different emphasis, possibly targeting children or families or other niches. This is, for example, the objective every time someone organises a “Beach” event or a “Peppa Pig” event or similar.

It takes a particularly ill-informed or cynical mind to make anything out of that one……..but there you go

BenjaminM
    Participant

I take exception Alun, to your opening and closing sentences where you affirm, not give an opinion, as to what constitutes a worthy post and to the state of mind of the writer. The remainder of the article is pure waffle and padding.

Lets call a spade a spade. Targeting children (as you state) is unlikely to be be for the benefit and entertainment of the kids, but more with the intention of attempting to ensure that parents accompanying them, spend a few bob extra in the town.

i for one, am heartily sick of reading post after post how hard it is for traders with rent, rates, Internet etc., but I do not comment on the worthiness or otherwise of their right to say it. And neither should you. My opinion is my opinion which I will continue to state without fear or favour. Perhaps you should take a leaf out of that book too.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=92239]Perhaps you would care to explain why it was found necessary to edit the original storyline by removing a paragraph where it was suggested that children should be targeted. Would this suggest (apart from being a rather banal statement) that the search for profit obeys no moral constraints, or that person who made the statement has exerted some sort of veto on its continued exposure? [/quote]

I have input little on here lately but I have to respond to this and the follow up comments. To try to turn what was a straight forward constructive observation in a Forum meeting to more than it actually was is unacceptable. You come back trying to play Mr Benign in the post above but the initial entry was anything but. You use phrases like “banal statement”, “no moral constraints” and suggest that somehow I, as the speaker at the meeting, had “exerted some sort of veto” over the Wrexham.com coverage. Are you kidding? My own business is largely Nostalgia focussed these days and targets a largely male audience over 40. We carry a novel selection targeting mainly women over 25 and a Vinyl selection targeting the real Musos. Indeed, we have several niches that we target in the shop including children. We stock Fireman Sam and Scooby Doo. Wow. Many businesses within Wrexham target children but there are these days lots of alternatives for youngsters to go to outside the town that draw families away from Wrexham. The idea of the Forum is to draw families back to Wrexham…….and the disabled, and pensioners, and students, and all of the other people. Indeed, the Forum doesn’t have a fixation with any particular group but bounces ideas around designed to get people back into the town…..

And as to the idea that I would try to “veto” anything…….you obviously have no idea. Why would I try to “veto” an innocuous comment made in good faith amongst people of good will

Alunh
    Participant

My opinion is my opinion which I will continue to state without fear or favour. Perhaps you should take a leaf out of that book too. [/quote]

Opinions are expressed about things where there are various interpretations that you can apply to facts. For facts, you need to be armed with accurate information. For example, your opinion was that some words had been removed from an article on Wrexham.Com. Not the case, not an opinion…just an error. Your opinion was that the original maker of the statement had perhaps applied some sort of Veto. Not the case, not an opinion…just an error. Where I agree with you is that you have the right to get hacked off if people bleat on about Rates, etc. Fine….no problem whatsoever…..just get your facts straight.

jok
    Participant

Well stated Alun. If everybody had to generate their own income, as self employed business people have to do, there would be a lot more poor people about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alunh
    Participant

Great to see the Victoria School initiative and the role played by several local businesses in the schools. Nigel Lewis is making real strides in the Wrexham Town Centre Forum to involve the entire community in reinvigorating the town and the youngsters themselves have thrown up so many ideas about what they would like to see to make the shops and restaurants more family and child friendly. Brilliant

zinger
    Participant

I do miss the like button.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News