The Groves School – Structure and Condition

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Groves School – Structure and Condition

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

It is surprising that there appears to be a demolish cost that is not shown as a net cost– a building such as this has a considerable salvage cost for slate , bricks and timber — or is this yet again an over sight by our highly paid officers and Councillors.
    On most demolition jobs this size there is a base cost and a demolition company take the chance on additional profits or pitch at a higher inclusive cost – how have the Council arrived at their cost..

wxm
    Participant

Every town and community is held together by what made it, and who it wants to be. The Groves School is an important piece of the social and intellectual structure of Wrexham, and surely it can be part of the future

Who wants to knock it down, one person must have drawn up a rational conclusion and pointed it out to others

Eagles Meadow ruined the town centre, are short term gains destroying long term social cohesion, pride and costing more by destroying community spirit and opportunity

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=106631]Why is it that Councillors who had been part of the Executive in the past with Labour are now coming out to save the Groves– why didn’t they act when they had the chance to have stopped the deterioration and get the building back to use.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a Welsh Government election year and Local Government next year!! Pre election stand on issues that have been neglected for moire than 10 years.

As one of those Labour executive members am only guilty of consistency. When Labour was the largest group the Land and Building group ,chaired by Councillors Malcolm King promoted and got the working in partnership with Coleg Cambria to make positive use of the site after the previous seven years of neglect.It is the Tory-Independent group who pulled out of this arrangement with little if no reasons for doing so. ( see Wrexham.com -November 2015 ) Then two months later with no consultation and meagre rationale they “rush to demolish.
    I am sure that how this plays out in the near future it will be an issue in the 2017 council elections.
    I for one will ensure this is so.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=106310]Although I can see your point Rohelendus MRICS, FCIOB (if you are real!), the covenant on the site requires us to use it for educational purposes and it is far, far cheaper to rip down the school and throw up a new build.

Too many people point the finger at us wasting money or complain about trivial matters such as priority parking for top Managers and Councillors (which we do need!) but wouldn’t it be far worse throwing bags of money into repairing an old school when we could save a fortune building a new school?

My suggestion to convert the building into a half way house for prisoners released into the community once HMP Wrexham opens or to house immigrants was thrown out because of the covenant and the cost involved in fixing the Groves but I am now of the opinion that Erlas House would be a cost ehttps://www.wrexham.com/forums/topic/the-groves-school-structure-and-condition#topic-replyffective option for the Council.

Its a shame that the Groves has to go but a new school will bring many construction jobs to Wrexham, just as the Prison has.

Counc. X

[/quote]dear councillors x ( if indeed you are real) I don’t recall the half way house EVER being proposed in the council, you make the point about the educational covenant on the site. That is why ,when the council was Labour led ( May 2012-September 2015 ) we had an agreement with Coleg Cambria to fashion plans to so use it. It was the group you obviously support who pulled out of this plan in November 2015 and are ” rushing to demolish ” with out the bother of consulting the people of Wrexham.
    I have a challenge for you that you launch a petition to continue the dedicated parking for councillors ,which you seem to see as a priority for the people who elected you and see how many signatures you get!

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Sorry councillor x – That should of course have been (May 2012-September 2014)

moggsie
    Participant

[quote quote=106310]Although I can see your point Rohelendus MRICS, FCIOB (if you are real!), the covenant on the site requires us to use it for educational purposes and it is far, far cheaper to rip down the school and throw up a new build.

Too many people point the finger at us wasting money or complain about trivial matters such as priority parking for top Managers and Councillors (which we do need!) but wouldn’t it be far worse throwing bags of money into repairing an old school when we could save a fortune building a new school?

My suggestion to convert the building into a half way house for prisoners released into the community once HMP Wrexham opens or to house immigrants was thrown out because of the covenant and the cost involved in fixing the Groves but I am now of the opinion that Erlas House would be a cost ehttps://www.wrexham.com/forums/topic/the-groves-school-structure-and-condition#topic-replyffective option for the Council.

Its a shame that the Groves has to go but a new school will bring many construction jobs to Wrexham, just as the Prison has.

Counc. X

[/quote]

Good God. You must have been in a bit of a rush when you typed that one up. Says I !!

One just has to look at the mess that has been made of the recent extension to Clywedog to see what is likely with any new educational establishment on the grounds of the old Groves.

It may well be that Rohelendus may be optimistic in saying that a renovation would not be more expensive than a new build. I say, lead the way a real council should and preserve our town !

Councillor X
    Participant

“Wrexham’s Liberal Democrat Councillors have successfully negotiated the first step to make sure there is proper consultation on Wrexham Council’s decision to demolish the former Groves High School.”

So what was the point of the Executive Board unanimously approving proposals to develop and clear the old school if they are going to bow to members of the public complaining? All they are doing is increasing costs …. before it gets ripped down!

If the Parish Church or St Mary’s Cathedral were to be in a state of disrepair then fine, by all means lets raise the money but not for an old school.

Why don’t the good folk of Wrexham have a whip-round to SAVE OUR SCHOOL. I bet that would have less contributors than my petition to keep free parking for Councilors and top Management ….. [if I am indeed real]

Darlofan
    Participant

Get the gritter drivers to demolish it. They’re not doing much at the moment yet are a fantastic hard working bunch.

Rohelendus
    Participant

[quote quote=106715]“Wrexham’s Liberal Democrat Councillors have successfully negotiated the first step to make sure there is proper consultation on Wrexham Council’s decision to demolish the former Groves High School.”

So what was the point of the Executive Board unanimously approving proposals to develop and clear the old school if they are going to bow to members of the public complaining? All they are doing is increasing costs …. before it gets ripped down!

If the Parish Church or St Mary’s Cathedral were to be in a state of disrepair then fine, by all means lets raise the money but not for an old school.

Why don’t the good folk of Wrexham have a whip-round to SAVE OUR SCHOOL. I bet that would have less contributors than my petition to keep free parking for Councilors and top Management ….. [if I am indeed real]

[/quote]

Once again bald statements with no worthwhile figures and costings. You will not sabotage the movement against demolition Councillor X. What may happen ultimately is that after the next election a large number of incumbents will not be seen again.

Councillor X
    Participant

Once again bald statements with no worthwhile figures and costings. You will not sabotage the movement against demolition Councillor X. What may happen ultimately is that after the next election a large number of incumbents will not be seen again.

A BALD statement indeed!

It stands to reason that it IS cheaper to demolish the eyesore and make something that fits in with the NEW Wrexham. Look how good Eagles Meadow looks, even if it was dropped in the wrong place. Just look at what is being done with our Vibrant and Viable Places Programme …. its astonishing. Regeneration projects creating jobs, more housing, poverty being hit head on …. proving that Wrexnam CAN be both Vibrant and Viable!

Personally speaking, i don’t think that with a 32.6% turnout for the 2011 Assembly elections, the Groves issue is going to have people getting off the soafa and casting any vote in any election soon. In fact look at the Wrexham …. a large number of people were schooled in other countries.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News