Six candidates to contest this month’s Gresford by-election

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Six candidates to contest this month’s Gresford by-election

• Author

WreX-iT
    Participant

Hoping they put in their contracts that if they work from home then the home should be in this country and not a working holiday in Benidorm or the Panama.
    Experience in window cleaning would be an advantage.

wrexview
    Participant

Good to see six candidates, now we just need a good turn out of voters!

WreX-iT
    Participant

I wonder if they will vote for the party or the person this time? The turnout will be interesting wrexview.

Self-publicist Andrew was a popular chap in Gresford and did a lot for his patch. He also gained the title Sheriff Andy after he chased a camp of illegal Travellers out of Gresford. He Tweeted “I’ve followed the travellers through Llay and across the Flintshire border.” Yeee-hah!

But on the other had he was accused of not dedicating himself to children’s services department which is in special measures. Headlines like “Tory councillor quits after criticism that he was working from his holiday home in Panama – 5,000 miles from his constituents” don’t help the Council or Gresford.

So you got to get out and vote for one of these on Thursday 28 October:

Beryl Blackmore – Welsh Liberal Democrats
    Alan Butterworth – Green Party
    Aled Canter – Welsh Labour
    Charles Dodman – Reform UK
    Jeremy Kent – Welsh Conservatives
    Aimi Waters – Plaid Cymru

Above – Mr Atkinson in a Panama

AMA Express
    Participant

That’s a Fedora. Panamas are white or beige.

wrexview
    Participant

This election will test the water for next years full council elections. Wonder if the extra one million pounds to sort some of the pot holes around town will mentioned in all the present Councillors election addresses!

BenjaminM
    Participant

It’s nice to see that there are no ‘independent’ candidates standing for election. To my mind, independents are neither fish nor fowl and go with whichever way the wind blows.
    Independents have been in recent years the architects of the towns downfall and the cause of the many shortfalls in services that a Council is obligated to provide.
    I sincerely hope that at the next full Council election, the electorate in all wards vote for whichever party they favour to rid us all of the majority of independent Councillors who hoodwinked their wards by changing their allegiance so rapidly after appointment.

wrexview
    Participant

There are a few who were originally elected to the council as party representatives but over time have dropped their party and replaced it with the word , independent. True independents have never belonged to any party, there is a distinct difference.

BenjaminM
    Participant

“True independents have never belonged to any party.”

If that is the case, how is it that that there are two independent groups on the Council? Surely that shouldn’t even be possible!!

Definition:
    1. Not affiliated with or loyal to no one political party or organisation.
    2. Free from the influence, guidance, or control of another or others; self reliant.

wrexview
    Participant

Exactly , that’s where we have to remember those who resigned from the Labour Party and now sit as independents, those who were Liberal Democrat’s and sit as independents and those who were conservatives and now sit as independents! They would never mould into one group now would they !

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Independents – agree with the comments. Back in 93 when I was introduced to the Independent group leader I asked “ Independent- – Group , how does that work .”
    Still waiting and has been pointed out some “ independents “ stood on one or other manifesto- all no doubt declaring “ if things change I will of course go straight back to my electorate.” Again despite my long local government experience I am still waiting!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News