Shops closing

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Shops closing

• Author

Adam
    Participant

@Alunh 2999 wrote:

Wrexham remains very vulnerable to the various national trends because the rump of Independent shops are largely in the old town. It is this part of Wrexham that looks threadbare and the local Independents are all suffering as a consequence of the drift to Eagles Meadow of Multiple traders, Customers and Cash.

The main strategy that the Council has to embark upon is to try and connect or lock the town back together again. This will be difficult and complex

but the harsh reality is that the old town as you call it is a pretty miserable place to be due to cheap, tacky shop fronts with poorly maintained architecture above and generally only visited out of need. However as the council don’t have direct control over these properties it’s going to very difficult to rebrand the area to attract a wider, dare I say it higher-end, range of outlets, be they independent or a national chain.

Despite the many, many failings of Eagles Meadow it still provides a relatively pleasant shopping environment compared to the rest of the town. Most significantly it’s provided a safe, civilised environment for couples and families to shop and eat in the evenings. Prior to EM, where could you have taken children out for a meal in Wrexham on a Friday or Saturday evening? The Wrexham High Street has sadly long been lost to the revellers..

It’s perhaps time our Town Centre management team were prepared to take reality on the chin and speak to some of the numerous small business owners opening shops/bars/cafes/delis/restaurants in Shrewsbury, Chester etc and ask the obvious but painful question ‘why have you not considered opening in Wrexham?’.

Wrexham provides pretty much everything that people need but not a great deal of what people want and until Wrexham starts providing a more balanced range of outlets to cater for a wider demographic then many people will spend their cash, and their limited time, elsewhere..

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Adam 3001 wrote:

Despite the many, many failings of Eagles Meadow it still provides a relatively pleasant shopping environment compared to the rest of the town. Most significantly it’s provided a safe, civilised environment for couples and families to shop and eat in the evenings. Prior to EM, where could you have taken children out for a meal in Wrexham on a Friday or Saturday evening? The Wrexham High Street has sadly long been lost to the revellers..

Bingo!

angryShopper
    Participant

Jessops is potentially shuttin down, so that’s an empty unit on island green,

EM – frankie and bennies, well we already had one in town, pizza express oh an the wonderfull bowling, I find it’s always an hours wait for anyone of those 3 venues on a friday / saturday, just sayin, yes, is so good we finally have this magical bowling alloy that was primosed for about 20 years, but come on,

wrexview
    Participant

All Jessops stores nationwide are to shut immediately ( Friday) over 1700 jobs lost in total. Tough start to the new year for many.

zinger
    Participant

I am very sad about Jessops closing but to be fair the last time we were there it had changed from extremely good customer service to the mediocre. It may have been company policy changes or low morale but it was very noticeable. As wrexview states it is a tough start to the New Year.

tommiller
    Participant

I bought a camera, lenses, and other items from the Wrexham Jessops store over the past 12 months – deliberately choosing to support a local shop, and always had excellent service and advice from the staff. It’s so sad to see more jobs gone.

Iceman
    Participant

The council have allowed the face of an historic market town to be changed forever and i will never forgive them for that. I walked down regent st and hope st the other day and as i looked around at the few other people there and wondered what they were doing there. In my humble opinion, the town centre has had its heart ripped out! It hasnt been the same since they knocked down the town hall on high street!

angryShopper
    Participant

I spent around £1000 in jessops chester not more than 18months ago on a new camera body, Like Zinger said the wrexham store just wasn’t what it was. I think I could tell they would be next as I got a lens at pc world for less money than jessops and with the same level of service (and that’s something as pc world tend to be dreadful)

it’s worth noting IG (island green) and EM(eagles meadow) both seem to have quite heavy parking charges, without any concession to blue badge holders etc etc, I think this needs to be addressed, I think places like Maplin will start to loose out the Chester store is just as good but has a lot of free parking, otherwise IG will turn into pound shop / discount chain land like the rest of the town (excluding EM

You could save Wrexham’s shopping experience tomorrow if you offered reduced rates to independent store, but I don’t think we’ve got the demographic in town to support boutique shopping. (which is how the council was planning to fill the shops when larger ‘chain stores’ located to EM, I’m all for ‘no chain’ living where possible, but I don’t think the majority are

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@angryShopper 3092 wrote:

I spent around £1000 in jessops chester not more than 18months ago on a new camera body, Like Zinger said the wrexham store just wasn’t what it was. I think I could tell they would be next as I got a lens at pc world for less money than jessops and with the same level of service (and that’s something as pc world tend to be dreadful)

it’s worth noting IG (island green) and EM(eagles meadow) both seem to have quite heavy parking charges, without any concession to blue badge holders etc etc, I think this needs to be addressed, I think places like Maplin will start to loose out the Chester store is just as good but has a lot of free parking, otherwise IG will turn into pound shop / discount chain land like the rest of the town (excluding EM

You could save Wrexham’s shopping experience tomorrow if you offered reduced rates to independent store, but I don’t think we’ve got the demographic in town to support boutique shopping. (which is how the council was planning to fill the shops when larger ‘chain stores’ located to EM, I’m all for ‘no chain’ living where possible, but I don’t think the majority are

Can you give a reference to the council minutes (or report) that proposes this…

angryShopper
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 3094 wrote:

Can you give a reference to the council minutes (or report) that proposes this…

You’ve more time on your hands that I, why don’t you do it, I’m sure it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy x

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News