Prospective wrexham MP's against Fracking?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Prospective wrexham MP's against Fracking?

• Author

Pinky02
    Participant

I just thought I would share this information with the electorate regarding Fracking. This is a very big issue at the moment in Wrexham and if you click on the link;

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/content/fracking-map/?source=fb&subsource=20150421frafb01&utm_source=gpeace&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=20150421frafb01

and type in wrexham, you will see that only 3 of our prospective MP’s have signed the frack free promise. Rob Walsh (Lib Dem), Carrie Harper (plaid Cymru) and David Munnerley (green). It will be interesting to see if any more sign up before May 7th?

feedshallow
    Participant

Let’s offer our support to the MPs who HAVEN’T signed up to the Frack Free Promise. I for one would love to see cheaper energy and fuel costs. We still have untapped seams of coal here in Wales and yet we buy in from abroad. If trouble with Russia sees them turning off the gas pipeline then we’ll need the ample supply of shale gas beneath our feet. Forget all this ‘green’ nonsense. It can only mean dearer and dearer energy costs. Get fracking and go nuclear.

dagg
    Participant

[quote quote=93235]Let’s offer our support to the MPs who HAVEN’T signed up to the Frack Free Promise. I for one would love to see cheaper energy and fuel costs. We still have untapped seams of coal here in Wales and yet we buy in from abroad. If trouble with Russia sees them turning off the gas pipeline then we’ll need the ample supply of shale gas beneath our feet. Forget all this ‘green’ nonsense. It can only mean dearer and dearer energy costs. Get fracking and go nuclear.

[/quote] Well said

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

I am very dubious about the anti-fracking arguments. The Green Party are notorious for using anti-science and pseudo-science to try and promote their arguement. For example, they are taking an anti-GMO stance when all genuine studies have shown that they are safe and will reduce food poverty world wide. I want to see some non-hysterical discussions on the merits of fracking or not as the case may be. As feedshallow has said, Russia is a big controller of fuel, France gets 100% of its gas from Russia, which is why they were slow and reticent in condemning Putins annexing of parts of the Ukrain.

bobo the clown
    Participant

The responses here are good to see. The anti’s are always so sweeping they presume everyone else agrees or they are some sort of evil. Certainly the pamphlets I’ve seen as so wildly inaccurate as to be laughable if this wasn’t such an important matter.

Meanwhile the camp at Borras Head continues to be a collection of weirdo’s … usually barely attended with some weekend bizarre joining them now & again.

They sponge of society, rubbish all attempts at common sense and will never, ever stop with their nay-saying. If wasn’t this it’d be something else.

Get a job, get a wash and get a life.

Now …. you were saying ?

Metalhead
    Participant

I feel residents who are faced with having this on their doorsteps have every right to be concerned TBH. This fledgling industry is pretty much self regulated at the moment with virtually no infrastructure in place to sort out any subsequent problems (financial or environmental) should they arise. There are also issues in this particular area which I fear could well lead to problems that would be extremely difficult to sort out.

Any any financial gains gas drilling is likely to bring to the area would appear to be reserved for the drilling companies and anyone who rents them land to operate on. Like others I am also far from convinced onshore gas extraction in the UK is going to lead to cheaper energy costs.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/29/browne-fracking-not-reduce-uk-gas-prices-shale-energy-bills

As for the usual highlighting of The Green Party as an opponent of this what about the other 2 candidates who have signed the Greenpeace pledge? Also on the latest Wrexham Parliamentary candidate video our current MP claims to be unconvinced. I wait with baited breath to hear what the remaining candidates have to say… I’ll be honest with only weeks to go I still have absolutely no idea who I shall be voting for but it will not be anyone I fear may sell Wrexham out on this.

Pinky02
    Participant

I am not particularly a ‘green’ person and I do not live near the borras site. I am however worried about what effects this practice will have on future generations. The energy companies may make a larger profit, but I think the chances of this being passed down to the consumer are extremely small. Some interesting points here

http://www.channel4.com/news/fracking-shale-gas-hydraulic-fracturing-truth-myth-facts-uk

Lemonpopsical
    Participant

There are legitimate concerns about the safety of fracking. The pro-fracking hysterics here are as bad as some of the anti-fracking camp.

A couple of points.

Fracking in the UK isn’t going to reduce your energy bills significantly, it’s just a drop in the ocean. Over the last year or so the price of crude oil has around about halved. Will/are you seeing that in your current bills?

Those in a position to set policy on fracking (government, industry) couldn’t care less about the risks to you. Why would they? Why would David Cameron or George Osborne ever care about polluting some drinking water or causing some tremors and structural damage in Borras, or wherever it is.

If you really want a clean-ish, cheap energy source, go lobby your MP to push the fusion agenda.

zinger
    Participant

I hadn’t heard that fracking was an issue in Borras. I understood that they were doing a (as in one) test drill for methane. Many test drills were made for coal, what is the difference?

Metalhead
    Participant

@Lemonpopsical What about hydroelectric?, this rarely seems to get mentioned. Austria invested in this technology (through a series of smaller as well as larger plants) and the results speak for themselves. Outputs from these plants is not too shabby at all, it’s clean, renewable and is now providing around 60% of their electricity.

We do have other options but these options require investment and at the moment this doesn’t appear to be happening. Perhaps our next government (which is likely to be a coalition of some description) may begin moves to change this rather than simply selling us out to the frackers? Not holding my breath though…

@Zinger
    , the test drill at Borras is supposedly for CBM as was the test drill at Ellesmere Port where the drilling company ‘accidentally’ drilled around 700m deeper than they had permission for and found shale. Easy mistake to make I suppose… (BTW it’s the same company carrying out the operations at Borras). Unconventional gas extraction is either generally bundled under the ‘fracking’ umbrella or used as a ‘it’s not fracking’ argument, seems to depend on which side of the fence the person sits… (it’s much of a muchness TBH).

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News