Parking Charge Tickets In Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Parking Charge Tickets In Wrexham

• Author

Rob
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.com/news/wrexhams-private-parking-ticket-furor-8427.html

We have been contacted by several people who have been issued with what appears to be parking tickets in ASDA – with demands for £60 attached – however on further investigation they do not seem to be official parking tickets!

We delighted to say our investigation helped trigger a u-turn!

Today we spoke to several stakeholders, the national ASDA press office, the local store, Wrexham Trading Standards and the British Parking Association. We are please to say that Wrexham ASDA is telling customers that ALL tickets will be cancelled and the time period extended to three hours.

Have you had a ‘parking ticket’ in or around town?

If so where, who from and for how much – and what happened?

justjojo2011
    Participant

I say 2 hours is plenty of time to do your shopping. I go to do just that, shopping. Extending to 3 hours just gives those who abuse the car park extra time. By which I’m refering to those who park in Asda (and Tesco) and go off into town for the day.

People who are doing their shopping are constantly greeted by full car parks because of those who don’t want to park in town or don’t want to pay for parking, not to mention disabled customers who can’t park because of the lazy and the “cashpoint cripples” who park in disabled spaces to go to the cash machines.

I have no sympathy for anyone who has had a ticket for parking in Asda if they’ve gone to town

Chris
    Participant

Well done Rob.

Justjojo If I decide to go shopping I prefer to park once. I park closest to where I will do the majority of my shopping. In these days of environmental awareness are you advocating driving from car park to car park. Also if you read Rob’s research you will be aware that there are people who are not as fortunate as yourself and do take longer than the two hours permitted.

Wal mart and others need to understand they are not bigger than their customers.

justjojo2011
    Participant

See this is the difference then Chris, because I don’t use a car and pump all that polution into the area… I use the bus, get off the bus and get back on the bus. The supermarket car parks are there for people to use the supermarkets. That’s why they’re free.

Perhaps you could use public transport to visit town or do like they did only 30 or 40 years ago.. walk (and yes i know that’s not an option for everyone).

Rob
    Participant

Its worth saying that some parking companies do send some quite scary letters out chasing up such ‘parking tickets’ but go away if ignored.

eg. threatening bailiffs and explaining how credit ratings could be damaged.

However, they are not parking tickets as people believe, just invoices for a contract that does not seem to exist.

Personally I have no problem with people enforcing car parking rules on private land. I do think its wrong to dress things up as legal parking tickets to essentially scare people into paying them which does seem to be common practise in some car parks in Wrexham.

In terms of the article it seems the car parking co at ASDA has responded very quickly to their clients concerns.

Chris
    Participant

Think you have solved the issue, lets all go back 40 years.:rolleyes:

wrexview
    Participant

Asda just falling inline with Tesco, they have a 3hour limit too.In these hard trading conditions the supermarkets are keen to attract customers not drive them away to a rival!

Darlofan
    Participant

I have had similar from parking outside Dunelm on Central Retail Park.
    I popped over to Wilko’s bought some weedkiller and went straight back to Dunelm. When I got back to car i had a ticket saying i was seen leaving the site. After reading forums about this sort of ticket I have ignored it. I am now on my 4th letter and the fine has risen from £50 to £150.
    Not very encouraging in my view to bring people into town, especially on the Central retail Park which is now half empty of shops and the car park is never anywhere near full.

Darlofan
    Participant

@wrexview 1168 wrote:

Asda just falling inline with Tesco, they have a 3hour limit too.In these hard trading conditions the supermarkets are keen to attract customers not drive them away to a rival!

I used to do contract work in Tesco and my 1st few visits there I didn’t realise I had to book my car in on arrival. In fairness they obviously did their homework via my address and clubcard as the letter said I’d overstayed the limit on 2 occasions but as I was a regular customer the matter would be forgotten about but I had to remember the limits in future.:)

Born Acorn
    Participant

Best advice:

Not Council or Police – Do not pay; ignore the letters. It usually goes as far as an “intent to prosecute” letter but no further. Search the internet for laughs; one man even replied with a similar letter saying that by taking photos of his car the parking company had automatically agreed to a contract and he invoiced them for the same amount they had done him!

Council or Police – Pay! These have statutory powers and can definitely get the money from you!

On another subject, if supermarkets were so concerned about parking they’d operate their car parks more like NCP’s in which you need a ticket to leave (to activate the barrier). You get a ticket while entering, and you hand your ticket to the cashier at the supermarket while buying things, and that validates the parking. Still free, just more secure; it would cut down on the cheapskates going into town.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News