North Wales Metro

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum North Wales Metro

• Author

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

Wrexham and Liverpool connectivity to be explored and station improvements planned as part of North Wales Metro project

Part of this plan is new stations – Wrexham North and Wrexham South.

New stations on an existing line is fairly straightforward- it’s no HS2 – so hopefully this gets completed fairly soon.

But do we know, have the locations for these stations been identified? When it says “Wrexham” does it mean the town or the county?

AMA Express
    Participant

Looking at the map that accompanies the article you’ve supplied the link to, Wrexham North will be between Wrexham and Chester, and Wrexham South will be between Wrexham and Ruabon. Does that help you ?

pete
    Participant

Rossett often gets mentioned often as the location for a Wrexham North station but I don’t think anything is confirmed.

Seems to be all talk and no action though.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

Rossett would make sense for the North one – at the end of the handily named Station Road!

Born Acorn
    Participant

Rossett makes sense but I suspect Wrexham North may be in or near Pandy, maybe on the former Gresford Colliery railyard beyond the north end of the Pandy Business Park. I’m not sure if Rossett would have the passenger draw, whereas Pandy has two business parks and a footbridge ensuring quick access to Garden Village. The whole area also seems to be targeted by various planning apps of late. The only black mark against it is that you don’t want a station on the only part of the line which is single track – you’d reduce capacity of the entire Wrexham-Chester section.

Wrexham South I’m guessing would either be in Rhostyllen or Johnstown. I would put money on Johnstown because of the wider passenger draw. If it is Johnstown, that’ll be a re-opening, as the former Johnstown and Hafod station closed in 1960.

I also suspect both may be used as parkway stations and will likely need a lot of space for car parking.

parkingmad
    Participant

There was talk of building a station in Rossett a few years ago, but was knocked in the head due to cost.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

I don’t really buy that – the cost of a station on an existing line would be minimal in the scheme of things, in rail terms. Doesn’t have to be a full blown manned station with facilities, look at Ruabon – couple of platforms with bus shelters and some steps. Unless it needed compulsory purchase of land?

Born Acorn
    Participant

Bow Street station in Ceredigion was just opened in March. It’s a single platform for a three car train and a car park and cost just shy of £8 million. You can probably increase that by another third for a five car platform for the Avanti and Cardiff-Holyhead trains, and then double that for two platforms and a ramped footbridge.

£22.5 mil sounds a lot but it’s still pittance to a government.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News