Market redevelopment

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Market redevelopment

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

jimbow
    Participant

JaneJ:- I doubt it very much. The present situation being, all was passed as OK at the last Executive Board, committing £3.5 million to the project.

In a SAMP Report-To comprehensively refurbish the property to an overall standard that would be considered excellent, in the region of £128,000 for the General and £290,000 for the Butchers would need to be spent.

The Executive Board at its meeting in March 2020 committed £2 million to the Butchers Market alone.

Prior to this meeting, I emailed all members of the Executive Board with the following:- Before you, is a Report asking for £2 million for the Butchers Market alone. I write in the hope that you come to your senses and reduce the allocation of funds to that which is realistically needed £290,000.

Alas, it has now risen to £3.5 million,

What difference will we see in the market for this money?

Alunh
    Participant

Just a few thoughts about the Market redevelopment:-

Ensure that the Markets overall fit in with your sense of a Brand identity for Wrexham. If you lack a sense of what that is, call in a Branding expert.

What demographic will the Markets overall and each component be pitched at. This needs a realistic appraisal of potential customer groups available (Students/Youngsters, the Silver Pound, Tourists, etc)

Try to differentiate the offer in each of the Market centres, indoor and outdoor, so that some sort of sub-branding of each unit can be developed. This might mean ensuring that complementary businesses are grouped together and units developed in the Butchers Market to suit.

Ensure that you have an experienced Markets management team in place to deliver on this project.

Don’t spend a penny of public money on this sort of thing before you have clearly established the broad outlines of the above. You could easily develop an infra-structure that is totally inappropriate for the commercial aims of the Market that you are developing

jimbow
    Participant

Alunh:-You have summed up what the end product should be very well. Unfortunately, it is being led by Council Officers who have no experience whatsoever in running a market.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Market, market, market, I’m flaming well sick of the word!
    Almost half the stalls unoccupied the remainder selling products that people only want on an infrequent basis.
    A more inappropriate name than Butcher’s market is hard to envisage.
    Monday market now almost non existent.
    And people consider Wrexham to still be a market town? Dream on!

jimbow
    Participant

If the thread says Market Development, and it makes you sick. Don’t read it

BenjaminM
    Participant

Jimbow, regarding your last comment – as a follower of wrexham.com forums, I am entitled to read and comment on whichever threads that I choose, even if expressing a contrary opinion irritates those with a viewpoint that could possibly be classed as obsessive.

jimbow
    Participant

I agree you are entitled to make observations. But you raise concerns that it makes you sick, the last thing that anybody would want is for that to happen.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

News