Maggie’s Centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Maggie’s Centre

• Author

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Maggie’s Centres are fantastic places and I have had family members who have benefited from the services they offer. I would request that politicians, of any political party, do not use Maggie’s Cancer Centres to pursue any party political interest and so ensure that any fundraising campaign to establish a Maggie’s centre in north Wales can attract support of people right across north Wales without anyone feeling that their support for this good cause that benefits so many people in their time of need is being exploited by others for any party political benefit.

JaneJ
    Participant

Ioan I appreciate these Centres do a good job but when I read the story I could not see what was different to what McMillan does or the Hospices which also provide the more general support as well. Also if it is a Centre it will have limited access for a wide area of North wales if people have to travel in excess of an hour either from the East, West of South of the region – rather than in localised support centres.

Fully agree that the issues being dealt with should not be ‘politicised’ by any Party

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The services and experiences that Maggie’s Centres offer are different and complementary to those offered by Macmillan, and it is certainly not the case that one is better than the other; they seek to meet different needs felt by cancer patients and their families. I can only speak from experience, but travelling less than an hour for cancer care would have been absolutely brilliant. Sadly despite the many excellent services offered at the Maelor, we frequently had to travel much further than an hour’s journey to access the medical treatments that were required. What Maggie’s Centres provide is a unique and welcoming environment, which having had to attend a series of institutions was such a blessed relief it is hard to convey how revitalizing these places are. I hope the people of north Wales are enlightened enough to embrace and support what has been such a successful model of care in Scotland and England, but we will have to be a lot more open-minded than we usually are.

JaneJ
    Participant

Thanks for clarity

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News