Lack of salary WCBC can offer affects calibre of job applicants.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lack of salary WCBC can offer affects calibre of job applicants.

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

At the Scrutiny meeting of EBISC a council officer put forward one reason that WCBC could not attract the right calibre of candidate for the regeneration team, was due to the lack of salaries WCBC can offer.

Does this mean that the present staff of the regeneration team, having accepted the obvious same pay structure, are below the required calibre?

The market regeneration now enters its sixth year and is still no further forward.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I don’t believe for one second that appointees aren’t ‘up to the job’.
    Rather, the fault lies with many elected Members who aren’t up to the job.
    Taking planning as an example – Officers diligently apply codes of practice and legal requirements to applications equitably, only for their recommendations to be either stifled or overturned by Members based on nothing more than a whim.
    There appears to be no coherent strategy and that, in my opinion, is why we are all being failed by local governance.

Born Acorn
    Participant

Taking planning as an example – Officers diligently apply codes of practice and legal requirements to applications equitably, only for their recommendations to be either stifled or overturned by Members based on nothing more than a whim.

It’s fine though – the inspectors in Cardiff apply the same codes of practice and legal requirements so usually end up siding with the recommendation anyway. All so said members get brownie points by blaming that big nasty “South Wales government”.

Alunh
    Participant

Got to endorse Benjamin’s observations concerning those few areas of Council life I’m familiar with. I had a considerable amount of dealings with the very capable Peter Scott in Economic Development in terms of developing the Markets. When push came to shove, several years ago, all of the good work was shelved and the Ty Pawb template was parachuted into the equation. This seemed driven by the elected Councillors who have little expertise in any of their briefs. That wouldn’t be a problem if they didn’t stifle the work of those who do.

Peter Scott now works for Widnes Council

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Some recent council job advertisements have attracted no qualified candidates and in some cases no applicants at all. Cheshire, Shropshire and other counties, not to mention other Welsh and UK government organizations, offer more attractive salaries, as well as the private sector, so people go there instead. It is a jobs market out there and talent is always mobile. The best can pick and choose in a country where there is a massive skills shortage.

JP
    Participant

I would echo AlunH comments on the economic development department (as existed, its been gutted) and Peter Scott (who was a part of ITEC for some years iirc).

I have limited experience of the “elected” council members, but it has been generally of low impression; I have said for years however that the council “officials” were of a split personality. Half appear to be helpful beyond words in pushing forward Wrexham as a town, the rest appear to exist to stop the first half doing their job.

The economic development team and Mr Scott, were head and shoulders in the first camp.

Bigbrother
    Participant

Planning ? A bit like the size/lack of windows in the apartments on King Street, Benjamin ?

The same planning department that ok’d the lack of car parking spaces for new apartments in Cefn Mawr because the people won’t have cars and anyway, there’s a bus stop nearby.

The same planning that recommended the removal of obligations to the local community regarding schools, because the buyers wouldn’t have children, as regards the Air Products site in Acrefair which resulted in the price of the land sky rocketing and making a huge profit for the developers.

That planning ?

Captain C
    Participant

If you ever have any dealings with Planning Officers you would know how they push their own agenda. At least the Planning Committee is made up with local people with some knowledge of local needs and sometimes they use common sense before passing or not passing some things.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Planning Committee/ common sense? Surely in all sincerity you cannot believe those two terms are compatible, can you?

Captain C
    Participant

I watched (amongst a lot of others) the planning meeting when the Planning officer (David Williams) stated that it would be the worst result that Wrexham Council had ever made to allow a Farm shop on the Straight Mile. Llay. He said it would be outside the boundary for Llay and the road with a 50mph speed limit was to fast for people to cross. He allowed 362 houses and a Aldy to be built outside the boundary and the speed limit on the straight mile was supposed to be reduced to 40mph before any houses were occupied. Thank goodness the planning committee saw sense and over ruled him and within 3 days he handed his notice in.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News