Island Green car park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Island Green car park

• Author

Bryn6
    Participant

I cant believe the amount of press this issue has had. If you want to use a pay and display car park, you pay. If you don’t want to pay you don’t use it. It really is that simple.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=169925]I cant believe the amount of press this issue has had. If you want to use a pay and display car park, you pay. If you don’t want to pay you don’t use it. It really is that simple.[/quote]

Trust me overzealous parking fines since ANPR has come in is hot local press fodder up and down the country. People just don’t like being fined. Especially not by private firms.

Matt
    Participant

Another point of amusement is that I’ve been on the Boycott Island Green Car Park Facebook Group with over 5,400 members.

It is a complete farce – everyone just angrily shouts at each other and people just give out incorrect information about dealing with private parking invoices.

The only harm they will be causing by boycotting the car park and advocating people don’t go there is harming the shops based there and by proxy the town centre’s central business district in general.

There is also widespread propaganda with people posting pictures of the car park during quiet periods saying nobody is ever there when most people who park up there know full well it gets busy during peak periods.

They are also stating about how nobody is in any of the shops – again this would probably be indicative of quiet periods rather than the idea of a mass boycott.

I’ve got nothing against mass organised action and has proven well in the past if organised and with leadership – like North Wales Against Kingdom Security or Save Plas Madoc Group. But this is just a bunch of headless chickens actually out to harm the entire town rather than do any good.

ChillDoubt
    Participant

Bryn6,
    Aren’t you actually missing the point? The argument is about and for those who are either picking up partners with shopping or train passengers at the station, both of whom are there briefly for minutes.

Rex Ham
    Participant

I joined the Boycott group on facebook briefly and it was pretty clear most members were just interested in doing away with parking charges in Wrexham altogether and promoting Broughton as a shopping destination.

Whilst I agree there should be a period of grace for picking up or delivering people from and to the station, Island Green is a commercial venture and car park revenues will be part of the revenue stream.

However, since Cllr Pritchard has negotiated a 20 minute “free” period will that be also be offered at WCBC car parks?

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=169941]
    However, since Cllr Pritchard has negotiated a 20 minute “free” period will that be also be offered at WCBC car parks?[/quote]

Does anyone know how strictly enforcement is carried out on the council ran car parks? I assume those are still patrolled by parking wardens rather than automated ANPR systems?

In terms of what you said about car park revenues being part of the revenue streams. These will obviously be crucial to the running of the car parks but there’s a growing concern where companies are now deliberately gearing their revenue streams to be heavily supplemented by issuing fines rather than taking in more income from normal parking fees. A fine should be there as a deterrent and not a money maker.

Because when fining within a town centre becomes the norm and a zero tolerance approach – like with Kingdom – it becomes a harmful business model which deters customers coming into town and harms other local businesses.

Bryn6
    Participant

[quote quote=169940]Bryn6,
    Aren’t you actually missing the point? The argument is about and for those who are either picking up partners with shopping or train passengers at the station, both of whom are there briefly for minutes.[/quote]

No, I’m really not. Your motives for entering the car park matter not. If you park up in one of the spaces and wait, or worse still, get out and go into Domino’s then you should expect to have to pay, on what planet would you not? The only exemption should be when you literally can’t find a space and have to leave. Don’t even get me started on people who think they can park for free because they’ve got a disabled badge!

ChillDoubt
    Participant

[quote quote=169972]

Bryn6,
    Aren’t you actually missing the point? The argument is about and for those who are either picking up partners with shopping or train passengers at the station, both of whom are there briefly for minutes.

No, I’m really not. Your motives for entering the car park matter not. If you park up in one of the spaces and wait, or worse still, get out and go into Domino’s then you should expect to have to pay, on what planet would you not? The only exemption should be when you literally can’t find a space and have to leave. Don’t even get me started on people who think they can park for free because they’ve got a disabled badge![/quote]

I think you are!! On what planet would I not? Planet Bryn6 I guess!!
    So by your reckoning, shouldn’t taxis who pick up shoppers from outside Iceland be expected to pay?? What about passengers being dropped off at the train station? Should the vehicles they alight from be charged? Seriously? Just for entering a car park for a minuscule, interim period?
    By your rules they should pay too, yes?
    I’d hazard a guess that you’re the type that would ticket a vehicle from the emergency services.

Bryn6
    Participant

Depends on the emergency :-)

I’m guessing you got fined lol

ChillDoubt
    Participant

[quote quote=170028]Depends on the emergency :-)

I’m guessing you got fined lol[/quote]

Not a chance…..I cycle everywhere!
    Just amazed how this town has a continual propensity in shooting itself in the foot over parking issues.
    The powers that be can’t seem to equate cheap/free parking with increased footfall and attendance to major events.
    Ho-hum…..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News