Historical features’ of the town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Historical features’ of the town centre

• Author

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I am one of the negative towards the town on social media types, but its interesting to note the streets/roads within the conservation area – The Butchers and General Markets, St Giles Church and large parts of the High Street, Hope Street and Regent Street – you could throw a blanket over that area. Why I am critical is when They bulldozed the old market with its black/white frontage – now that was a market – The cinema at a time when the town was crying out for a theatre – and I’m sure people will add more, so dont have a go at me for having a go at them for letting our heritage go to land fill and this town has come a ghost town. And before the vibrant independent shop keepers come on here, look at where you are based first – conservation area by any chance?

Councillor X
    Participant

Totally agree Maureen. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

The old market and its black/ white frontage, with pubs and small businesses down and around Lambpit and Queen Street. This was our heritage.

The past cannot be altered but they could throw that blanket over the historical parts and bulldoze everything that isn’t covered. Retain what we can to leave a smaller area in which traders can move to and make the rest into a park.

janeywxm
    Participant

I’m too young to remember the old markets and other places of interest in Wrexham. I have looked at old historic photographs of Wrexham, however, and cannot believe some of the places that were knocked down. The town used to have character and a lot of the older buildings would have encouraged people to visit now.

Some photographs that stand out are the area around where the Council offices and tourist information buildings and the old BHS store are now. The older buildings there were stunning.

Janey

WreX-iT
    Participant

They steal all of our heritage! The are converting the sex shop into apartments now.

katy
    Blocked

Northwich recently held a candlelit prayer ceremony in the town to pray for hope for the regeneration of the town in the face of local negativity.

Maybe things are getting this desperate in Wrexham as well, and they could try this approach.

Matt
    Participant

We are heathens in Wrexham – so the only approach most would accept is to burn the entire town centre* down and start from scratch.

*Except for the Groves site – the Groves site and cockroaches alone shall survive the apocalypse.

jimbow
    Participant

Do some of the Executive Board come under the term of Historical Features?

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=163361]We are heathens in Wrexham – so the only approach most would accept is to burn the entire town centre* down and start from scratch.

*Except for the Groves site – the Groves site and cockroaches alone shall survive the apocalypse.[/quote]

I have it on good authority that the Groves site will remain after Nero fiddles. It has special purpose!

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The town centre has taken a battering;however, there are still a lot of historic buildings and streets left to preserve, improve and promote: 1. St Giles 2. Temple Row, College Street and Church Street 3. High Street and Town Hill 4. Brook Street including the threatened British School building 5. Yorke Street and the Nag’s Head 6. Charles St and The Feathers 7. The Butchers’ and General Markets 8. Chester Street around the Old Registry 9. Regent Street: Museum, Cathedral and Art College area 10. Grosvenor Road 11. Bellevue Park and adjoining streets 12. the Argyle arch and the Horse and Jockey. 13. the corner of Pen y Bryn and Chapel Street and 14. Waterworld. However a town is not just its town centre: Croesnewydd Hall, the Glyndwr (Denbighshire Technical College) main building, Wrexham General railway station, the old Mines Rescue Station, the 4th Batallion Drill Hall, Hightown Barracks, Fairy Road- Erddig Road – Sontley Road, Acton Park, Bryn Estyn Hall and walled garden and Garden Village are all historical features of the town that prove the place isn’t all the grimness of tedious half closed retail parks, HMOs and pound shops, even the latter do visually dominate. The Groves is a fantastic building; it is an opportunity, not a liability.

zinger
    Participant

Ioan y Ffin I agree with you & for once also with Councillor X & Maureen. Other buildings to retain are the Burton Building, Carnegies Library & Grove Park Theatre.

There is nothing beautiful about the buildings on either side of Lambpit Street so they could go with my blessing as well as the BHS side of Henblas Street. It ever there was an area of town ruined that was it.

Though not a frequenter of Eagles Meadow, I quite like the Spanish steps & the view of the Parish Church through the shops but I understand that it is a bit on the draughty side.

The shops that I hanker after are the home grown ones such as Aston’s, the furniture store, Rogers & Jackson & would you believe, Woolworths & of course the old market. I liked Cranes Music Shop as well.

I know that it’s an age thing with pink tinted glasses on my nose. Nostalgia it’s called. I like nostalgia.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News