Henblas Street Development

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Henblas Street Development

• Author

Council Watcher
    Participant

Good news re the possibility of apartments at Henblas Street shops – it should bring some life back into the centre of town and perhaps generate some new nighttime economy restaurants.

I wonder how much VVP grant funding will go into the development to act as an inducement for the developer to take this project on.

Nen
    Participant

Yes, a very positive move, as you say.

Idiots on Facebook objecting of course because it’s not shops (Wrexham already has too big a retail footprint it’s struggling to fill so I don’t understand this argument). Plus, this is upper floor space which was formerly office space not shops.

The other objection on there is that it’s “more bedsits”. Apartments are not “bedsits” lol.

newwales
    Participant

“however a well known high street name has been mooted to take over one of the units” …Still wondering who the Well known high street name is?

Once one new shop goes there i bet a few more will follow.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Come on NIMBYS?? any thoughts. I think it is a great idea and agree with Nen about not needing more shops!

With regard to ‘….a well known high street name has been mooted to take over one of the units..…’ Don’t get too excited, its that well known high street name Marky P!!

Hugh Bet
    Participant

I shall look into obtaining the penthouse suite from which Mrs Bet and i may watch the dramas of the town centre unflold.

parkingmad
    Participant

I think some people will be put off because of the lack of private parking.

Hugh Bet
    Participant

Don’t all town centre residents have chauffeuse? Marjory is a blessing.

I am more concerned that my M&S delivery driver shall be unable to bring my groceries to my door.

Majory, cancel the Penthouse, I am moving to Gresford!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Apartments without car parking spaces are fine in cities and larger towns when there is work within walking distance or in cities a cheap Uber ride. The problem in Wrexham is limited work within easy reach of these proposed apartments which may prove off-putting.

They could, of course, be taken over by the Council en bloc so that they reduce the spend they currently make with a number of hotels and Bed and Breakfasts for those who qualify for “emergency” accommodation. This would not be a new expense but just relocation of where the Council spend their money.

Matt
    Participant

This is good and I see Ian Lucas has even tweeted to the article signalling his approval.

The knuckleheads on Facebook who say NEW SHOPS OR ELSE – don’t realise that situating residents directly in the town centre will actually improve the chances of new retail and service outlets in the area as a knock on – when you can pick up doorstep footfall.

Plus when you have more full time residents in town it boosts the whole sense of community, those living there will have a strong voice and interest in making the centre of town a pleasant and amenable place to live (especially at night time) and likewise the police would be quicker to respond to any reports of unsavoury activities. So less likely for drunks, druggies, crooks to congregate when people who won’t want them on their doorstep. Of course that means they’ll move elsewhere, but if anything there has been the overwhelming feedback that people are put off by the town centre because of the negative characters who are frequently sighted. Get ’em to set-up some kind of neighbourhood watch scheme and they’ll be doing everyone a favour.

In terms of the lack of car park, my best guess is that not everyone in Wrexham drives and they have to make do with commuting or walking to work currently from wherever they live now. So living within town they’d be within walking distance of the bus station and train stations. Plus easy walking distance to the hospital for healthcare workers etc… Anyone working in retail can get out of bed and be in work in 5-10 minutes.

Sheefag
    Participant

I shall enjoy gliding silently and smugly, above this development in my Gold Plated Zeppelin.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News