Glyndwr planning applications

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Glyndwr planning applications

• Author

yellowdot
    Participant

I have been concerned for some time at the growing land bank that Glyndwr University has acquired in the relatively short life span it has had. Where did they obtain the funding needed to obtain the land. I was under the impression that a lot of this land they have acquired once belonged to WCBC. Have they benefitted through sales of convenience and now are cashing in. If they had so much spare cash to begin with shouldn’t that have been ploughed into education.

zinger
    Participant

I worry that the Racecourse football ground may be used as a political football.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

It’s great news that Glyndwr is being ambitious and the new building looks like a piece of statement architecture that has the potential to match the quality of the original 1950s main building. However, there won’t be much room to ‘expand’or quality on these new housing estates that will be built on the land off Holt Road. Even at this stage, the architects’ drawings reveal that the new occupants will be packed in like sardines – just compare the density of housing on the planned estates with their neighbours, you won’t be able to swing a cat inside or even in your garden! Usually architects’ drawings have some artistic license, so the reality could be even more cramped as the developers squeeze every bit of profit out of the land at the expense of future residents.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Obviously, I can and have swung a tiger many a time after tiffing in my humble mansion and gardens, and wouldn’t dream of making the long, arduous trek to the main road on foot, BUT, seriously can I ask the NIMBY’s of the Parish, just where would you like much needed houses built?

A field on the outskirts of Llay village?

NO! The junction at the Crown can’t cope you scream – build a roundabout there then.
    NO! The schools – doctors – er…chippy can’t cope you scream – they will expand to meet the need.

A field in New Broughton?

NO! see above.

A sports ground in Rhosnesni?

Shame to see loss of sports ground, but plenty of green amenities in the area – and already surrounded by houses so no loss of privacy or outlook.

And a million more planning applications……So NIMBY’s WHERE??

Liam
    Participant

Maureen – is your view not equally as one-eyed as that of the so-called NIMBYs you criticise?

Let’s start with your claim that the houses are much-needed when there have been several recent data releases which show that the market is stagnating.

Also, how do you know that the houses being proposed are the type needed? If they were affordable or social housing I might agree, but most developers go for the bare minimum when it comes to the allocation of affordable housing.

Yes okay, some of the reasons for opposing get a tad frivolous, but as far as infrastructure is concerned there are plenty of valid concerns about health services and school places. Planning law could certainly do with a bit of tightening to secure the necessary investment.

So no, I’m not quite convinced that your argument of ‘build them everywhere’ really stands up.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

And another thing, I didnt say build them everywhere young man, I actually asked where do you experts think they should go? And another thing, can someone explain what actually is ‘affordable’ houses?? Is it as opposed to unaffordable?? If so why build unaffordable, as no one could buy them!Is it me?

zinger
    Participant

Disappointing that Glyndwr University saw fit to pay out £11 million to Moss & Roberts for Wrexham Village. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

thetown
    Participant

That Nice gent Neville Dickens made a lot of money out of Wrexham fc,he is lucky,he would have been thrown out of many a town for doing what he did to his own people.

Nen
    Participant

Just seen the report regarding the extreme pressure on North Wales hospitals. I think we can safely say that these planning applications will be rejected in light of this, which is a shame. Infrastructure just not there at the moment for any increase in population.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Nen I disagree with you regarding lack of infrastructure so applications won’t be passed- it is very unusual for any application to be turned down on these grounds — what will happen is that the developer will be asked to make a Section 106 or Community Benefit contribution. Wrexham is actually very poor at negotiating the levels and extremely poor in implementing the collection with a number of developers still going back for a number of years.

It is also normally the case that these funds will go to Council projects – it is almost non-existent for any Council to contribute to any Health services. Nen I disagree with you regarding lack of infrastructure so applications won’t be passed- it is very unusual for any application to be turned down on these grounds — what will happen is that the developer will be asked to make a Section 106 or Community Benefit contribution. Wrexham is actually very poor at negotiating the levels and extremely poor in implementing the collection with a number of developers still holding back for a number of years.

It is also normally the case that these funds will go to Council projects – it is almost non-existent for any Council to contribute to any Health services.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News