Glyndwr in surplus but no science festival!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Glyndwr in surplus but no science festival!

• Author

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Whilst happy to hear Glyndwr are in surplus I wonder if they have lost their way a little.
    Every other day it seems I am told about bands or comedians coming but my enquiries about the ” annual” science festival – that is where knowledge is actually shared and debated – have been patently ignored!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Andrew why did the then Labour controlled Council withdraw their grant support for the Science Festival– were you not one of those Labour Councillors

NJones
    Participant

It’s possible to put a positive ‘spin’ on most things. Don’t believe all you read.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=96882]Andrew why did the then Labour controlled Council withdraw their grant support for the Science Festival– were you not one of those Labour Councillors

Dylan :- you will have to more specific. I can remember putting the then council Leader on the spot about the Science Festival but I can’t recall voting to withdraw their funding. when was that?

BenjaminM
    Participant

Come on Dylan, you are notorious for making statements purporting to be fact, but when challenged, you conveniently ignore a request to back them up. Put your money where your mouth is and respond to Andrew as he has asked you to.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Hope these reference give you an indication of what has happend in the past re Council funding cuts

http://www.olddailypostlink.co.uk/news/local-news/wrexham-science-festival-cancelled-due-3306467

Original funding cuts June 2006 http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/ExBoard/Reports/cfpo3806.doc
    Business Development and Enterprise (Underspend £68k) – The underspend was achieved from contracting earnings through various WDA contracts such as New Business Starts, General Business Advisory Service and Business Eye. Also savings of £18k were achieved by making the Wrexham Science Festival biennial.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAAahUKEwiykfS7rODGAhVqI9sKHbx1CaI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.olddailypostlink.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fwrexham-science-festival-cancelled-due-3306467&ei=4gCoVbKYEurG7Aa866WQCg&usg=AFQjCNEcS5EABI38b7q5RpHSK0mcS-VS9w&sig2=lniGymi4JrrctWWZqgwuIA

99DylanJones
    Participant

Benjamin
    What are the postings I have made that you assume are dubious?
    I will endeavour to respond to your challenge if there are any you are unusre about

BenjaminM
    Participant

I will indeed respond to you Dylan in a timely manner.
    It would take me far too long (and too many column inches) to provide examples to illustrate my observation.
    What I will do however, is give you a succinct reason for making the statement above.
    On many many occasions, rather than stating what is essentially an OPINION, your style of writing gives the distinct impression that what you say is the definitive and that once written, it will brook no further argument.
    I think (ie my opinion) that Johnhoppy sums it up quite nicely when he stated on the ‘fast food outlet’ thread the following:-
    “Nice to see that you are in favour of free choice as long as it is your own”
    I offer, as food for thought.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=96880]Whilst happy to hear Glyndwr are in surplus I wonder if they have lost their way a little.
    Every other day it seems I am told about bands or comedians coming but my enquiries about the ” annual” science festival – that is where knowledge is actually shared and debated – have been patently ignored!

[/quote]

A lot of what goes on in Glyndwr is promoted by 3rd parties and is at their risk. This allows the University to make some gain without any real pain and is a prudent approach. Thus whilst it might seem that “Glyndwr” are striking priorities, the appearance might be deceptive

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News