Funding for Splash Magic

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Funding for Splash Magic

• Author

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

Firstly I must congatrulate Splash Magic staff and volunteers on the granting of these capital funds.
    I am afraid the leader of the Wrexham Independent group is being too modest in his recollection ar maybe just wants to skate over an unfortunate change of heart.
    In August 2014 he and his group colleague did indeed propose a revenue grant of £100,000 for the centre in executive board but this was not accepted by the board. However when I proposed a similar grant in October 2014 at the board the same councillors , having in the meantime become lead members in a revised administration did not support this and voted for the reduced grant of £50,000!

JW
    Participant

It’s great news that they’ve got this grant. But Labour shut it in the first place! Did Ken Skates and co publicly condemn their Labour colleagues at the time?

Dick
    Participant

I thought the idea of Splash Magic being hived off was so they would become self sufficient. Yet another Labour idea that has to rely on hand outs. They tell us the Welsh NHS is broke but cough up half a million for Ken Skates’ plaything half a million of taxpayers hard earned cash.

Daave63
    Participant

Spot on Dick, you are quite right bad money after bad. Wasn’t it just a few weeks back that they were desperate for £50K – and surely they must have know that they had applied for a grant at that time!

Dragon
    Participant

Does any one know if Andrew Bailey voted to close plas Madoc leisure centre?

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Andrew was in the Labour Group that voted to keep Plas Madoc – the other half od the Party led by Neil Rogers (10 of them) left the Labour Party and joined the Independent Coalition.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=120518]Andrew was in the Labour Group that voted to keep Plas Madoc – the other half od the Party led by Neil Rogers (10 of them) left the Labour Party and joined the Independent Coalition.

hi Peter and friends,
    Just to clear up all the Labour group voted for the budget in 2014 ,with the exception of a few abstentions of members local to Plas Madoc. Just for the record this budget included voting for the closure of two libraries,Gresford & Brymbo and the former is now in it’s third year of independent existence ,with access to community and wider funds ,that would not have been the case if council run. Ring any bells.
    You are right that 10 out of the 23 group members left in September 2014 and whilst I am still mystified as to their reasons it is probably no coincidence that a majority of the group had voted for a greater funding for Splash Magic than the 10 ( or a goodly number ) favoured and that I subsequently moved at the board in October 2014 only to have it voted down by ” the other half ” and their new cronies. Look at who the friends of the project are over the long term rather than focus one one snapshot in time.

excouncillor
    Participant

Labour Voted to close Plas Madoc which is a fact Mr Bailey and you and 23 of the Labour Party were part of that, is that why 10 councillors left?

excouncillor
    Participant

yes Dragon he did 23 of them

excouncillor
    Participant

Ken Skates is trying to save his skin along with Cllr Dana Davies from Ruabon and Cllr Derek Wright they all closed Plas Madoc

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News