Election outcome — who will make up the Groups and Leadership

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Election outcome — who will make up the Groups and Leadership

• Author

The Monitor
    Participant

‘Standing Orders are the *rules* of the Council’. So these current ones seriously NEED to be altered. The alternative is to continue with this virtual dictatorship, by the executive board and their cronies.

wrexview
    Participant

Doubt there is anything in Standing Orders re number to be in a group!!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Rob some good analysis about voter participation — looking quickly at the figures it looks like a large number of Councillors have been elected with less than 18% of the total number of people elected to vote – 82% of the people NOT voting for their elected Councillor.

Samsung
    Participant

Looks like the stormy clouds over the Guildhall Leadership may end with a very pretty Rainbow!!!!

R T
    Keymaster

Not me – Darryl did that so I am reading it for the first time over a cuppa!

As a tangent I was pointed to this interesting post on the Save Plas Madoc Facebook page regarding the results and turnout https://www.facebook.com/groups/1388402681406725/permalink/1877799779133677/ and depending on your point of view the result there was either good / bad or indifferent. As you say, the winner there had 14% of the possible turnout and even less if you consider those who did not register to vote.

However, you can only play the game infront of you and all that!

R T
    Keymaster

Cefn was down 5% and was the place where the winner had 579 votes second was 577 and third was 572.

That 5%, if roughly same electorate, is 189 votes.

Also the same place where there were 13 invalid ballots https://www.wrexham.com/election2017/ward.php?ward=8

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=131095]Not me – Darryl did that so I am reading it for the first time over a cuppa!

As a tangent I was pointed to this interesting post on the Save Plas Madoc Facebook page regarding the results and turnout https://www.facebook.com/groups/1388402681406725/permalink/1877799779133677/ and depending on your point of view the result there was either good / bad or indifferent. As you say, the winner there had 14% of the possible turnout and even less if you consider those who did not register to vote.

[/quote]

I was quite vocal on that point, as I’d just seen Blackwell get voted in Live on the Wrexham.com video feed and really needed to vent. It has since thrown up interesting discussions across social media about not berating non-voters within areas perceived as deprived as there is an apparent disconnect between politicians and the ‘have-nots’ but I think that has always been the case. I think many people were unaware that there was a strong non-political type independent candidate standing in the ward but the message didn’t get across to the right number of people.

I had followed the post up on Wrexham.com’s interesting article about where there was low voter turnout as the discussion had continued on there. There was a small positive note that the turnout in Plas Madoc for local elections had increased from just under 20% last time to 27% this time, which doesn’t look much, but does actually represent a 35% increase in turnout. Which means all the political activism surrounding the Leisure Centre has at least made a few people take a greater interest [or perhaps it was all the Wrexham.com election coverage ;)]

https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom/posts/1275158345872245?comment_id=1275243585863721&notif_t=like&notif_id=1494524716012758

So far though, the best thing I’ve had from all my online political rantings of late is an invite to the pub for a pint as apparently I need to get out more.

Interested
    Participant

[quote quote=131252]

Not me – Darryl did that so I am reading it for the first time over a cuppa!

I was quite vocal on that point, as I’d just seen Blackwell get voted in Live on the Wrexham.com video feed and really needed to vent. It has since thrown up interesting discussions across social media about not berating non-voters within areas perceived as deprived as there is an apparent disconnect between politicians and the ‘have-nots’ but I think that has always been the case. I think many people were unaware that there was a strong non-political type independent candidate standing in the ward but the message didn’t get across to the right number of people.

I had followed the post up on Wrexham.com’s interesting article about where there was low voter turnout as the discussion had continued on there. There was a small positive note that the turnout in Plas Madoc for local elections had increased from just under 20% last time to 27% this time, which doesn’t look much, but does actually represent a 35% increase in turnout. Which means all the political activism surrounding the Leisure Centre has at least made a few people take a greater interest [or perhaps it was all the Wrexham.com election coverage ;)]

https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom/posts/1275158345872245?comment_id=1275243585863721&notif_t=like&notif_id=1494524716012758

So far though, the best thing I’ve had from all my online political rantings of late is an invite to the pub for a pint as apparently I need to get out more.

[/quote]

Matt, you must be proud of the Facebook page SavePlasMadoc. Vile and disgusting posts by some.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=131302]
    Matt, you must be proud of the Facebook page SavePlasMadoc. Vile and disgusting posts by some.

[/quote]

Not in the slightest, I just happened to make my point there as the topic was relevant to that group. Facebook & social media in general is the wild west, you get many people who make reasonable & thought out postings, but many more who think it’s okay to say things on a computer that they would never dare say out loud & don’t even realise that these online postings can potentially be up there forever.

I would like to point out that some of the worst vile & disgusting comments I’ve ever read come fresh from Wrexham.com news stories on Facebook & that doesn’t make those who run this site any more responsible than those who run the Save Plas Madoc page. It’s the whole thing about internet censorship you can gag all views not aligned with your own that may be considered slightly iffy, or you can let them run within the freedom of speech rules.

At the end of the day hate type speech is so common online and those people come across as narrow minded idiots.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor