Coverage of Coronavirus on Wrexham.com twitter

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Coverage of Coronavirus on Wrexham.com twitter

• Author

MadMan
    Participant

I have been rather shocked by the recent coverage on Wrexham.com twitter handle retweeting people questioning people’s purchases and saying that they’re items are more essential than others. It is not essential to have a cup of tea… you can drink water out of the tap. Then another retweet about a queue outside the range, there is a huge sign on the building called Iceland it actually sells food. Instead of calling out big companies like Tesco advertising their easter eggs you seem to be eager to blame the public with retweeting they shouldn’t buy these non-essential items yet they are still being sold. They will likely be screwed over by big business once the economy goes tits up..this can already be seen in the US with their stimulus bill. You should also be supporting small business more as they are abiding by the social distancing better than the likes of Aldi… The people that work there are so lovely but somebody on the door is required, it doesn’t take too many people to be too busy. The other day was alarming, so I will focus more on local business. I get that you are trying to raise the alarm and your support for the emergency services are faultless but don’t try to pit people against each other be there for our town.

R T
    Keymaster

We took that to the proverbial top to hoping to get a strong message. This week we tried to ask the Health Minister “Do you think there is a responsibility on retailers to only sell essential items?”

We cited the local examples of DIY and garden shopping sprees as well. The Welsh Gov comms team did not pass it up to the podium sadly, nor any of the other ones put forward (despite those in the room getting follow ups too).

We have had quite a few people working at various levels in retail in touch very concerned about their own health, risks they are being asked to take, and as tweeted 4-5 days ago, “Message from a retail worker who wants to stay anon “Can only echo your recent tweet. Many people are treating this as a joke. Coming out to browse, or to buy a single item. Its surreal. The elderly are coming out, sometimes daily and its just not being taken seriously.” ”

Happy to call out Tesco and Aldi as much as those creatively looking to find an excuse to dodge advice and or laws.

Matt
    Participant

I think everyone has developed some kind of siege mentality and levels of tolerance & trust have taken a massive nose dive.

It’s almost as if because people feel like they have to stay in the house all the time – although everyone still allowed out for daily exercise. So when they see the slightest activity by their neighbours or hear about goings on outside they are reacting with negativity – as it comes across as if others aren’t doing their bit to stop the spread.

I completely understand the criticism of those who are flouting the rules and take liberties that put all our lives in danger. However, like MadMan I don’t understand the vitriol squared against individuals for relatively harmless activities.

Firstly parent shamers can go jump off a cliff, the fact that kids have been branded in the same league as rats because they are apparently super spreaders by some is paranoia to the highest level. It’s the Easter Holidays now, kids should be allowed out for their daily exercise like everyone else without people freaking out. Likewise parents who have no choice but to care for children and take them to the supermarket shouldn’t be judged, there are single parents or parents whose partners have to work all day still who need to buy food.

Secondly, the lists of things people are militantly declaring non essential is absurd. People being shouted at for wanting to buy things like clothes – first off kids grow out of and need new clothes all the time, likewise adults need new clothes as well if they wear out. Not everyone can afford massive wardrobes of expensive hard wearing clothes. Nobody is going designer clothes shopping, they just need something to wear. Maslow’s hierarchy of needs has food, clothing and shelter at the bottom of the pyramid of basic needs.

Judgements cast against pet owners – we’ve been told that pet shops and places like the range that stock vital supplies of pet food and basics are non essential when the supermarket sells out of everything for pets because of panic buyers. Should we just let all our pets starve?

Dog walkers being moaned at even though they are probably the best at the moment in terms of maintaining social distancing as they’ve known for years to respect the space of non dog owners. Being kept on leads etc… However, people being moaned at for taking their dogs into parks, despite being kept on leads and also being told they shouldn’t be on public rights of way that go through farm land – even though this has been okay since the year dot.

Oh and just let people buy garden supplies, if they’ve got gardens to tend to then they are less likely to be bored and wanting to leave the house more often, as they’ve got an outdoor space they enjoy and is safe.

The snap judgements just need to stop and a little bit more tolerance applied.

R T
    Keymaster

Interesting briefing response from Police Chief Constable elsewhere in UK today:

“We will not at this stage be starting to marshal supermarkets and checking the items in baskets and trolleys to see whether it is a legitimate necessary item but…if people do not head the warnings…we will start to do that”

AMA Express
    Participant

So if I’ve been out for my weekly shop and, while I’m in the store I happen to spot a couple of bargains, like a chainsaw, a set of flippers or a trumpet, the LLPD are going to decide whether they’re a necessary purchase ?

Matt
    Participant

AMA, I feel like it is unlikely to happen around here, as Arfon has already stated it shouldn’t be down to the police to enforce workplace social distancing rules – rather the HSE. So I am not sure whether they’d carry out a jobsworth bag check either – when it would be impossible to legislate what is essential and what is non essential and at what point if you are allowed to pick up a few non essentials with your regular weekly shop a threshold has been crossed if they think you’ve bought a load of useless tat.

Meanwhile actual crooks are going round scamming people, stealing and attacking NHS workers and generally need an all round good koshing, rather than bag police cracking down on Easter Egg shoppers.

Councillor X
    Participant

I pretty much agree with the comments here (even Matt)
    Unless there is a ruling saying that shops cannot sell X, Y & Z because they are not essential then who are we to turn down a bargain chainsaw (AMA Express) or some Speedos (Matt) from Aldi?

They could tape off the clothes isles or office stationery and greetings cards if they are deemed non-essential so then there isn’t the choice to buy them.

Dog walking is good. I take my old dog Woodbine out for a drag very early on and then again late at night in case nosy Nora grasses me up. But there are gangs of feral kids around and someone needs to drag them and the Emos and the like off the street.

Question. Is booze essential?

Councillor X
    Participant

ALSO some other big issues have been swept away by the virus. Not a bad thing.
    With lockdown there isn’t a chance for terrorists to rampage and knifecrime has improved. Burglars dont sneak through open windows with folks at home and nobody is trying to save an ungrateful world.

AMA Express
    Participant

[i]Question. Is booze essential?[/i]

To an alcoholic, yes.

TimRegency
    Participant

Yes, because sudden withdrawal of the drug is dangerous.

It’s all very well criticising people for not doing as instructed, but the trouble is that the government is not doing their bit by testing people on a massive scale and then isolating the positives and tracing contacts. I can’t see how they’re going to get on top of this if they’re not doing that.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News