Chatwin’s closure

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Chatwin’s closure

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

Chatwin’s bakery shop has closed in High street, Wrexham. Another blow for the town. Makes you wonder who will be next to close in this economic disaster.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Not surprised they’ve closed considering the exorbitant prices they were charging.

parkingmad
    Participant

Was told they had problems with some of the customers, not the type of customer they wanted meaning they were a bit rough.

wrexview
    Participant

Wrexham can’t afford an image where companies like this who invested in updating a building and fitting out a modern shop , find it is unsafe to keep the business open. What is the new Council’s plan of action ? Every city needs a safe “city centre”.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

I always thought that Chatwins was a little too upmarket for Wrexham

JaneJ
    Participant

It is sad to see an business closing but the reason being over an ‘incident’ with a customer or mess out the back of the shop are both matters the Police and Council should deal with – did the incident get reported to the Police and has the culprit been dealt with OR is this a blame shift from internal issues within Chatwins that they would not put in the public domain. There is far more to the closure than what is in the company statement.

Comment 8or
    Participant

It’s always a pity to see a town centre shop close its doors these days. However, I agree (with JaneJ) that I suspect Chatwins are being less than forthright with their explanation for leaving/re-locating from Wrexham town centre. I believe their statement is disingenuous to Wrexham.

Are we to believe that a successful store would shut up shop and move because of one incident where violence or damage was threatened? Did they report the matter to the Police and was the matter investigated? Surely, between witness accounts and CCTV footage, it wouldn’t be too difficult to deal with. And the continued unsanitary discarding of rubbish in an alleyway can’t be too difficult to sort out either. A gate, a security light and CCTV should do it – I smell a rat. Have they worked with the Council and Police to formulate a plan? Indeed, have they even reported anything at all?

It’s more likely that they simply weren’t making a sustainable profit from its High Street location, given their products and pricing structure, but didn’t want to admit any failings on their part, for commercial reasons. It’s easier to lay the blame elsewhere. I do not believe the explanation has Wrexham or its residents’ interests (their former customers) at heart, at a time when Wrexham strives to invest and enhance, in its metamorphosis to meet its newly gained city status.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News