Challenge of town centre regeneration

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Challenge of town centre regeneration

• Author

katy
    Participant

So it appears from the report that Wrexham has more retail space than both Cardiff and Swansea (as well as every other area in Wales).

It also has the least town centre residential space in the whole of Wales. Not sure whether this is because no one wants to live there, or council policy.

We need a massive cull of retail capacity. In Wrexham we have the FAW training ground, soon to have the football museum of wales, the tennis centre, and the towns football club being put on the global stage. Why not frame Wrexham as a hub for sport. Never going to be able to compete with Chester or Shrewsbury as a retail destination. But we could become a sporting destination. North Wales is short of an Olympic size swimming pool – get the funding sorted and get it built in Wrexham.

Unfortunately Wrexham is run by people with the kind of brain power that makes them decide to not provide bins because the pesky residents might have the temerity to put litter in them. So we are much more likely to get even more retail space installed.

Alunh
    Participant

I noticed that you posted this some time ago. I quite agree that Wrexham outgrew the retail space that was probably optimal for a town of its size but I’m afraid that the idea of a cull is so difficult that no politician will go near it.

My own attitude is one that is conflicted because I sense that the current capacity could still work with a lot of creative thinking, a big drop in Rates and a total rebranding of the town…..set against the feeling that this will never happen. I note that many towns are now hitting nearly full capacity where shops are concerned but these all tend to be places where the Independent sector never did die or where the strength of alternative attractions to retail has genuine pulling power.

The problem at the moment is that no one actually knows if Wrexham can revive because no one has actually produced a plan to revive it. A plan isn’t about slogans. A plan is about Rate reduction, Market reconfiguration, Car Parking & Access reappraisal…..and the like

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Councillors back plans to speed up pothole repairs on Wrexham’s minor roads

News

New survey launched to help improve Wrexham Council’s food waste collection service

News

Gresford by-election announced – nominations for new councillor open ahead of election on 28th October

News

Researchers and patients in North Wales to support national multi-cancer detection test trial

News

A&E waiting times across Wales “were the worst on record” during August 2021

News

Welsh Government to invest almost £25m in four new CT scanners including one for north Wales

News