Border Patrol – Stay Away Englanders but Locals Please Mix Together

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Border Patrol – Stay Away Englanders but Locals Please Mix Together

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Are we going to have to set-up a Taff land army to patrol Offa’s Dyke to stop any pesky Englanders from coming into the country with their oppressive caravans during their 1 month lockdown and enjoying our pubs and shops?

How are they going to stop people from going to Broughton for example? The shops aren’t going to turn people away especially during their busiest time of year.

Undoubtedly Wales being open for business will put pressure on things as people will travel in unpoliced and increase the risk of virus spread.

In my mind, it’s a bad idea again for us to have a different set of rules to England. Any lockdown restrictions should be UK-wide otherwise we are playing absolute silly buggers, just kidding ourselves that numbers will go down when they won’t.

One thing that strikes me as nonsensical in Wales is that when Wrexham went into local lockdown we had local cases at 59.6 per 100,000 on 1st October 2020 and that meant breaking the household bubbles and limiting people’s contact indoors.

Now for some utterly bizarre reason when figures in Wrexham are now at 262.6 per 100,000 and rising, which is the worst in North Wales and getting to the figures of some high areas in South Wales, they’ve decided that on 9th November the local lockdown restrictions have ‘done their job’ and we can now go back to forming bubbles and meeting people indoors. It is utterly absurd.

So we were either exposed to unnecessary restrictions and hardship in the first place or it’s slowed the spread to a certain extent and we’re now going to undo all that hard work. I have a feeling that no politicians across the board are intellectually equipped to deal with this pandemic and people’s lives have been curtailed, put at risk and lost due to a chronic mismanagement.

I for one have no confidence in any advice from the Senedd or Westminster on this pandemic whatsoever and feel I have to rely on guarded common sense to keep myself and my family safe. Unfortunately not everyone follows that logic and behaves selfishly and does as they please (Farage is repurposing his Brexit party to legitimise this collective group selfishness) and it means we are going to be stuck in this mire well into 2021.

What Drakeford and the powers that be completely fail to realise is that nobody is policing household bubbles and the vast majority of even reasonable people have interpreted bubbling up with other households to basically mean a carte blanche approach to go and meet all of your relatives and close friends. Typically one household at a time, but then small parties get arranged and you get multiple households mixing together indoors and basically as long as you don’t have a 20+ strong gathering and blast out music to annoy the neighbours you won’t get bothered by the police. The only problem with this is that just 1 person in these gatherings having Covid will spread it about left, right and centre.

Someone in my extended family picked up Covid recently (possibly from work) and now a few days later another 2 of their relatives already have it with another 6 or so at risk in self isolation waiting to see if they have developed symptoms and that’s with these so called restrictions in place and I know they are very cautious and sensible individuals.

Matt
    Participant

Drakeford even confirms in this article that mixing in households in a way that people can get comfortable is the main cause of increased spread, so what the hell is going on? Bringing back the bubbles will cause the infections to skyrocket as people can’t bubble up responsibly, it’s human nature.

How can parents/grandparents choose which of their grown up children and which of their grandchildren they can meet if they are spread across multiple households? How do you choose which of your friends you want to hang out with? How do you choose between seeing your partner, if you don’t live together or your family?:

“If you are in your own house and you meet other people, none of that happens, as we tend to revert to behaving in the ways that we are comfortable with and are used without those safeguards.”

“The evidence is its intra-household and inter-household transmission that is the biggest engine of coronavirus.”

Intra-household and inter-household “the biggest engine of coronavirus” transmission

Matt
    Participant

This tweet sums things up perfectly.

zinger
    Participant

Hear, Hear!

What ever happens with the pubs will be no different to what it is now only the other way round. It was pretty obvious that the reason for the firebreak was to stop people coming over the border. People go over the border to buy the cheaper booze in the supermarkets. It was always going to happen.

JaneJ
    Participant

The whole situation has become so complex that no one knows what is right or wrong – do the Governments not realise that Welsh families only remain in Wales and English in England– our families spread their wings and live in both countries.

Politicians say in Wales we won’t see any benefit of the Firebreak until AFTER it is lifted on 9th November so would we not be better to have a longer period in case the Firebreak has not had the desired effect- now that Furlough is available surly another couple of weeks would have been worth locking down to try and really get the figures down.

Maelor Hospital is at about 90% capacity at the moment for Intensive Care beds- that is a very thin margin not only for new Covid patients but those people with other critical illnesses. For every patient with Covid in a bed means a high risk for those with heart attacks, strokes and other conditions. Who would want to be a health professional having to make decision on who could have treatment and who would not — based on potential survival criteria if you are over and of these ages 60-70-80 the likelihood of getting treatment rather than palliative care increase, add in obesity and other health conditions and you will just not get treatment- this is reality.

zinger
    Participant

I hope that our MS’s don’t need go to meetings in Cardiff. Bit of a long drag if they didn’t go through Shrewsbury? Just a thought.

MP1953
    Participant

I have been told that 90% capacity is normal for this time of year and 70% in the summer.

Just a thought :-

Why won’t/don’t the Welsh Assembly or the UK Government report the number of deaths caused solely by Covid i.e. no underlying illness or disease?

TimRegency
    Participant

Perhaps you should have kept that thought to yourself.

AMA Express
    Participant

When I worked there 95% was quite acceptable through the winter months.

TimRegency
    Participant

I read somewhere that the precautions we’re taking to prevent Covid spread have cut the rate of ‘ordinary’ flu deaths by a lot, so if true, that’s one small blessing, I suppose.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News