Better Scrutiny

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Better Scrutiny

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

So the Leader of the Council wants Council Members to do more Scrutiny- this is a laughable statement from the person who Leads a Group of Executive Members who never take any notice od any changes or recommendations that may be made by a Scrutiny Committee.

Can anyone point me to any item that has gone to a Scrutiny Committee that then resulted in and changes in the report that the 10 Executive Members would accept.

The current system of Scrutiny just does not work so no wonder Council Members don’t use the system

jimbow
    Participant

I agree JaneJ with your comments. Scrutiny in my opinion is an absolute waste of time, the Executive Board rule, end of story.

I have noticed in the past couple of months, Councillors asking questions in scrutiny the answers to which are in the report before them which presumably they have supposed to have read.

Maybe the time has come for elected councillors to sit only on a Community Council and leave it to the 10 know alls. Think of the cost saving to the City.

JaneJ
    Participant

Jimbow – you could tell when meeting are online those Councilors who are reading documents for the first time in the meeting. Also agree the 40 odd Councilors who are not on Executive should be pensioned off as they are redundant. On the rare occasions they ask any questions they are shot down, where is democratic accountability- The Leader is just giving lip service.

katy
    Participant

The key comment came at the end of the article:

“what I’m concerned about in this area now, is that members are coming to the executive board asking questions, when really, these questions should go to scrutiny. They should go to task and finish groups”

So he wants scrutiny. Just doesn’t want any pesky questions. Translation: “Give your questions to someone else so i can ignore them easier.”

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News